AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie looking to spend up to $2,000 for a receiver and set of speakers. I'm looking for form as well as function, and I would say that both are equally important for my tastes. I could go buy a Denon or Panasonic receiver for $1000 and from a function stand point it would work just fine. However, I'm looking for something that looks "futuristic". As an example, see the Sony DAV-LF1 online at sonystyle (dot) com.

This receiver has all of the form I'm looking for but it is a little short on function. The digitial audio and video inputs and outputs are very limiting.

Does anybody know of a receiver with speakers in the $2,000 range that has both form and function? Thanks. All suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
804 Posts
For that kind of budget I wouldnt get a Htib, you could better spend your money and go with seperate speakers (or speaker package) with different receiver. Youll get alot more sound out of a system like that. Just to shout a couple names out there for speakers: Klipsch, Athena, Pok, Paradigm, Ascends. Receivers: Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon.

Maybe this will give a bit of insight. You are limiting yourself with the "form" of it, but still there are choices available, and stating what you are planning to listen (i.e. movies, tv, music..), and also size of room.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Here's your form and function,

Jadis Eurythme - list for $45K

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses, however none of them really address the question. I am willing to consider seperate components (receiver, DVD, speakers) but am still looking for a receiver with excellent form. I realize that that is a constraint and will perhaps reduce the function of the receiver, but that is a tradeoff I am willing to make. Anybody know of anythiing out there?

·
Registered
327 Posts
You and I are in the same place. Form a consideration as well as function, which isn't common. B&O and Nakamichi fit the bill, but both are out of your price range (consider used). Bose is an option, but I'm not a fan at all.

Look at the Denon S 301 as well as the KEF KIT100. Both are 2.1 virtual surround sound systems (not 5.1), but might be more what you're looking for in the form area. I'm looking for a new HTIB right now to replace my NIRO and these are the 2 at the top of my list.

I've had a NIRO 1.1 Pro for a year and a half (and love it), which replaced $6K of 5.1 home theater before that and the virtual surround sound for movies is more than enough for me - I don't need to go back (as of today). They make several systems

Check out this thread for links to info on both (as well as several other HTIB).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=520874

Kipa

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
as far as the receiver goes, i would go with a refurb HK435 for about $650, and put the rest towards good speakers and a good subwoofer.

as far as the subwoofer goes, you can get a b-stock SVS B-PB12-ISD in white or gray for $549. they're not blemished, they just reduced certian colors to b-stock for inventory reduction, and it's a SICK deal on a SICK subwoofer!

now listen to some speakers, and spend the rest of your budget on them. good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.