AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, This is my first post, Please be nice to me. I am a newbie, and I'm not a expert about HT, but it's something that always want to get into. I had been reading about this forum for about couple months now and I'd learn a lot, thanks to all people who come before me and contributed here.

May I ask question on my first post? I don't know, but I really, really need some advice about the question that I'm about to ask.

Before I begin, just so you know, my budget is very limited ($1,000 (Please don't laugh at me, sure, I like to get Denon 5803 and DVD-9000, but I don't have the money)).

OK Here's question: What is the best Home theater in a box for the price under $1,000 or can you help me to piece up a home theater for under $1,000 that will sound good?

I am considering Onkyo HT-S767C

If you willing, please help

Thanks

Baja

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Welcome to the fourm - hope you find it has helpful as I have!

I'm going to recommend that you steer clear of the HTiB setups. typically, you can do better for not that much more $ if you bargain shop.

I don't know if you meant 1000 US or 1000 Canadian, but I'm going to assume US (cause I can make that go farther)

I think that if I had $1000 and wanted an HT setup, I'd buy the following:

Denon 1403 receiver - $299 (or less online)

Energy Take 5.1 speaker system. - $699 (I think)

I know that with shipping we'll be a tad over budget, but I think that I've stayed within the spirit of the exercise here. I also realize that we have no DVD player. Here's what you do for that. Add an extra $150 to the budget, and get a Decent Sony or Onkyo single disc progressive scan DVD player, and you're all set.

Then start saving your spare change for things like upgraded speaker cables and interconnects. :D It never ends! :D

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I also would not go "home theatre in a box" but would suggest JVC RX8030 (a 6.1 system) and the Energy speaker combo or perhaps a Polk speaker combo. The DVD player can be almost anything, depending on your needs (I'd go with SACD - I have DVD Audio and there are less than half the available discs).

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was searching for a 32" TV and a Home Theater in a Box when I stumbled across this forum.

After a couple of months lurking and learning, I own a front projector and separate components (with Energy Take 5.2 speakers, I might add).

The Bottom Line: AVSForum is a great resource for information. But, watch out! "Good" will never again be good enough. Enjoy the ride.

Mike

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
awe i have to think of this in a different way.. HTiB are great starter systems. when you upgrade you move the HTiB into another room. you can get a decent sounding setup for less then 1grand.. for the best look and as cheap as cheap can get use a computer wuth tuner card/dvd player you can build a decent setup pretty cheap.. HTiB usualy has a decent reciver but lack great speakers.. I started out with the Yamaha HTiB a small setup.. sounds good for what i have.. not great but ok.. i plan on upgrading to some DIY speakers..

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for the advice.

So, I guess the best way is to piece together a HT. OK, one more question: Receiver or speakers, which one is more important?

$1,500 US dollars for Receiver and Speakers (I got other bills to pay too you know).

What would you recommand?

Thanks

Baja

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OH, one more thing to add, I don't listen to music, the AV system is mainly for Movies, and receiver has to be able to decode DTS-ES, 6.1 Surround.

Thanks

Baja

·
Registered
440 Posts
Get the panasonic HE100 reciever. it does 6.1 and EX and ES modes. $300

Then get a Proscan dvd player. $150

Then go to a speaker place, listen to all the speakers and pick up some that fit your budget and sound good to you. $500 for a set of 6.1 speakers shouldnt be that hard to find

50 - cables

------------------

there you go, i have the panasonic he100 reciever and i am VERY happy with it.. best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'll chime in - I own a HTiB that I'm happy with. I have the Onkyo HTS-760. It has a nice 6.1 receiver, and 7 decent speakers (to my ear, anyway - I'm using it exclusively for HT, not for any serious music listening). It was $499 at Circuit City. That would leave you with plenty of cash for a good DVD player and heavier speaker wire.

Just my opinion...YMMV

Dwight

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I've heard some pretty good things about the Onkyo HTIB. I'll also concur with the Energy Take 5.1 or 5.2 speakers ($700). I have a set of 5.1s that I have semi retired (I use three of them as rear and surround speaks). I'd say any of the receivers mentioned above would probably work fine. You'll still be over budget a little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.