AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello all, this is my first post. I'm solid on video stuff but am looking to take my audio to the next level, and I can't listen to the Magnolia people after seeing how little they know about TVs...

I have a somewhat decent understanding of how things work, but I am going to be bed-ridden for a while very shortly due to an upcoming surgery and would like to have a more awesome entertainment system. I know that music and home theater are very different applications, but I figure that at least for now if it can handle music well then it's good enough for watching TV. I'm running a 2.1 setup anyways, listening mostly to metal music that can have a lot of tricky highs.

My bedroom is 12' wide by 10'4, and my towers are under my TV mounted to the 12' wall across from my bed. The equipment I currently have is listed below, and I'm looking to buy separates and upgrade my towers. I know that the room is pitifully small for this sort of thing but I don't mind going overboard since I plan to purchase equipment that I can take with me when I buy a house and make minor upgrades as needed.

1. I've heard great things about the Focal Profile 918 towers, I'm about to buy a pair. I hear they combine the highs of Martin Logan with the lows of B&W but are just a TAD iffy on the mids. Does anyone have any experience with these? I can get the pair for $1,600 in great shape so please keep that in mind during the evaluation (MSRP $5,000).
  2. Looking into buying a refurbished Velodyne sub.
  3. I have been steered toward the SimAudio Moon 100d for the DAC. I can get one for $325 (MSRP $650). Anyone have any recommendations for something better under, say, $650? 
  4. I have also been steered toward Emotiva for my preamp/amp needs. I'm currently looking at:
    • UMC-200 7.1 Home Theater Preamp/Surround Processor
    • XPA-2 Stereo Power Amplifier, 300 watts RMS per channel @ 8 ohm (0.07% THD)​
      • ​I can get the XPA-5 as an alternative, 200 watts RMS per channel at 8 ohm (0.05% THD) for only $100 more and that will cover me for surround sound in the future, but I'm told that it's better to have more power than "enough" power (the Focal speakers are 200 watts max).
        • Do I really need to have more than 200 watts per channel for the towers? I was told that there can be fluctuations and I might not get the full 200 watts, but does that matter if I'm not going over 50% max volume at any point? What about if I use a power conditioner/voltage regulator or something? Advice???
    • ​​CMX-2 Precision AC Line Restoration & Common Mode Filter System
      • I'm not really sure if I need the DC Offset feature, if I don't then it's only another $20 for the CMX-6. Tips on this would be appreciated as well.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bowers & Wilkins CM9s

Martin Logan Dynamo500 sub

Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60

HTPC (i7, 16GB, 128GB SSD)

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKenny  /t/1523224/hi-fi-ish-bedroom-setup-help#post_24501113

Hello all, this is my first post. I'm solid on video stuff but am looking to take my audio to the next level, and I can't listen to the Magnolia people after seeing how little they know about TVs...

I have a somewhat decent understanding of how things work, but I am going to be bed-ridden for a while very shortly due to an upcoming surgery and would like to have a more awesome entertainment system. I know that music and home theater are very different applications, but I figure that at least for now if it can handle music well then it's good enough for watching TV. I'm running a 2.1 setup anyways, listening mostly to metal music that can have a lot of tricky highs.

My bedroom is 12' wide by 10'4, and my towers are under my TV mounted to the 12' wall across from my bed. The equipment I currently have is listed below, and I'm looking to buy separates and upgrade my towers. I know that the room is pitifully small for this sort of thing but I don't mind going overboard since I plan to purchase equipment that I can take with me when I buy a house and make minor upgrades as needed.

1. I've heard great things about the Focal Profile 918 towers, I'm about to buy a pair. I hear they combine the highs of Martin Logan with the lows of B&W but are just a TAD iffy on the mids. Does anyone have any experience with these? I can get the pair for $1,600 in great shape so please keep that in mind during the evaluation (MSRP $5,000).
  2. Looking into buying a refurbished Velodyne sub.
  3. I have been steered toward the SimAudio Moon 100d for the DAC. I can get one for $325 (MSRP $650). Anyone have any recommendations for something better under, say, $650? 
  4. I have also been steered toward Emotiva for my preamp/amp needs. I'm currently looking at:
    • UMC-200 7.1 Home Theater Preamp/Surround Processor
    • XPA-2 Stereo Power Amplifier, 300 watts RMS per channel @ 8 ohm (0.07% THD)​
      • ​I can get the XPA-5 as an alternative, 200 watts RMS per channel at 8 ohm (0.05% THD) for only $100 more and that will cover me for surround sound in the future, but I'm told that it's better to have more power than "enough" power (the Focal speakers are 200 watts max).
        • Do I really need to have more than 200 watts per channel for the towers? I was told that there can be fluctuations and I might not get the full 200 watts, but does that matter if I'm not going over 50% max volume at any point? What about if I use a power conditioner/voltage regulator or something? Advice???
    • ​​CMX-2 Precision AC Line Restoration & Common Mode Filter System
      • I'm not really sure if I need the DC Offset feature, if I don't then it's only another $20 for the CMX-6. Tips on this would be appreciated as well.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bowers & Wilkins CM9s

Martin Logan Dynamo500 sub

Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60

HTPC (i7, 16GB, 128GB SSD)
I honestly don't think you would see a huge audible difference moving from the CM9's to the Focal 918s, just saying. I think an upgrade to your subwoofer, and changing crossover on your AVR, would be more beneficial.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1523224/hi-fi-ish-bedroom-setup-help#post_24501133

I honestly don't think you would see a huge audible difference moving from the CM9's to the Focal 918s, just saying. I think an upgrade to your subwoofer, and changing crossover on your AVR, would be more beneficial.
Thanks for replying! I can sell the CM9's for more than the Focal 918's would cost to purchase (in fact I already have, so at this moment I have no CM9's :p). If the audible difference in minimal that's fine, as long as the Focals aren't worse than the CM9's. So, assuming I'm not going to buy CM9's again, the Focals are definitely happening unless there are much better speakers out there for under $2,500.

As for the crossover on my AVR, are you saying that I should do that in place of getting the Focals or in place of buying separate preamp/amp/DAC?

·
Registered
262 Posts
No.nothing to do with preamp/amp. Although most modern Avrs have dac built in fyi. That would be a personal preference more than likely linked to volume you wish to listen at. The louder the volume the more likely it is that an amp would help your situation to give your front towers more power and less thd at those higher levela. I was referring solely to your subwoofer. IT is vastly over matched by your speakers. Purchasing a more powerful subwoofer such as an svs, psa, hsu of the like and then upping the crossover frequency on your preamp or avr to say 80 hz for your front l/r speakers would probably lead to a lot better sounds through less distortion in the speakers and letting the better sub handle the low freq. than buying new speakers. But it looks like you've already done that.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKenny  /t/1523224/hi-fi-ish-bedroom-setup-help#post_24501166

Thanks for replying! I can sell the CM9's for more than the Focal 918's would cost to purchase (in fact I already have, so at this moment I have no CM9's :p). If the audible difference in minimal that's fine, as long as the Focals aren't worse than the CM9's. So, assuming I'm not going to buy CM9's again, the Focals are definitely happening unless there are much better speakers out there for under $2,500.

As for the crossover on my AVR, are you saying that I should do that in place of getting the Focals or in place of buying separate preamp/amp/DAC?
I would also check out the new triton towers. They have been getting rave reviews.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1523224/hi-fi-ish-bedroom-setup-help#post_24501237

No.nothing to do with preamp/amp. Although most modern Avrs have dac built in fyi. That would be a personal preference more than likely linked to volume you wish to listen at. The louder the volume the more likely it is that an amp would help your situation to give your front towers more power and less thd at those higher levela. I was referring solely to your subwoofer. IT is vastly over matched by your speakers. Purchasing a more powerful subwoofer such as an svs, psa, hsu of the like and then upping the crossover frequency on your preamp or avr to say 80 hz for your front l/r speakers would probably lead to a lot better sounds through less distortion in the speakers and letting the better sub handle the low freq. than buying new speakers. But it looks like you've already done that.
Thanks for sticking around lol, I'm not sure I'm understanding you though. I'm going to get a dedicated DAC because the integrated ones aren't great in AVRs, so no worries there. But are you saying that at lower listening volumes I won't need to have the additional power from a more powerful amp? My Pioneer SC-71 can power CM9's via bi-amp, but the Focals and many other speakers don't take bi-amp/bi-wire configurations, so my Pioneer AVR won't have the 200 watts per channel that the Focals will need. I have been told many times that it is "safer" for the speaker, as well as sounding better, to have "too much" power rather than having too little. But since I'm listening at lower volumes anyway, what do you say, keep my AVR or get the 300 watt stereo amp or the 200 watt 5 channel amp?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

They look AWESOME. I'm considering those or the threes, I have to get some more information about them. I'm thinking I can get one or the other and use them as the surround speakers with Triton Twos in the front when I get a new place...  I love the ribbon tweeters but I'm going to have to see how they stack up to the Focals since they're going to end up around the same price. Thanks man!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts