AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, I have just purchased a pair of Magnepan 1.7i’s. I have an Emotiva XSP-1 pre. My listening room is 14x14. My allotted monies for upgrading my stereo has diminished further than expected. I had to unexpectedly buy connectors and speaker wires as I simply thought I could use my old RCA connectors and the speaker wire I bought on a 50’ spool from Radio Shack 25 years ago. I will pause while you laugh... So I need suggestions on what type of amp I would expect to get for about $2500 that would be good for what I currently have. I will probably not be able to consider another upgrade for another couple of decades as “I just ain’t got it like that.” Thank you for your consideration and reply.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Howdy folks, I have just purchased a pair of Magnepan 1.7i’s. I have an Emotiva XSP-1 pre. My listening room is 14x14. My allotted monies for upgrading my stereo has diminished further than expected. I had to unexpectedly buy connectors and speaker wires as I simply thought I could use my old RCA connectors and the speaker wire I bought on a 50’ spool from Radio Shack 25 years ago. I will pause while you laugh... So I need suggestions on what type of amp I would expect to get for about $2500 that would be good for what I currently have. I will probably not be able to consider another upgrade for another couple of decades as “I just ain’t got it like that.” Thank you for your consideration and reply.
You are more likely to get the advice and recommendations suited to your application in the amps and processors section of the forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
I'd post in the 2 Channel section also as several Maggie owners on there.

I'm still using RCA cables and speaker wire from the nineties! :p

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
At the risk of commenting on stuff I'm not familiar with, I don't understand the remark about connectors and speaker wires.

The Emotiva XSP-1 has both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) connectors. You ought to be able to use RCA cables, if you don't mind a little extra electrical noise. (Probably a non-issue if the cables are short.)

The Magnepans are supposed to accept bare speaker wire (up to 10 gauge) or banana plugs. No problem there, unless you're using spade lugs.

As for an amp, why not the Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3, or the XPA-DR2? It looks like either would be a good match to what Magnepan recommends: class A/B, happy with low-impedance loads, and a high current capability. You'd have your choice of XLR or RCA cabling to the pre-amp. Both would be well within your budget.

If you go to one of the audiophile forums, try not to be too offended if you get condescension from people who can hear the difference that a $14k power cord makes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts