AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on making the jump to a pj here in the relatively near future and have been eyeing the HS-10 and the L300U. Right now, my preference is the panasonic projector, but I have a big concern with regards to its short throw distance.

I plan on turning a spare bedroom into a HT room with pretty good light control. The dimensions of the room are 12'10"x 13'4". Given those dimensions, I figured a screen that was ~72" would be about right to allow for seating aproxiamately 8 1/2 -9' away. I also figured that would require the projector to be about 7 1/2' away from the screen.

The problem is this: I really don't want to ceiling mount the projector, but at the same time I'd really hate for someone to spill something on it or knock it over if it was table mounted near the center of the room. The only way around this is to table mount it off to the side where (hopefully) people won't knock it around. I think this will require the projector to cast the image at almost a 45 degree angle.

My question is this: Is that too much of an off center angle? Will keystone correction be able to compensate for that?

I suppose that I could project the image on another wall, with a larger image, the pj farther back and cut down on the angle, but I'm afraid that the image will become too big considering how close I'll be sitting to the screen.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fat E

·
Registered
76 Posts
My room's dimensions are about the same. The throw distance and picture size can be much bigger than what you mention.

Distance to Screen Screen Size

min 10.2' - max 12.1' 100"

I intend to place the projector about 11' feet from the wall and I intend to sit about 11' from the wall. I think a 92" screen would be good for my needs.

Keystone correction would work when projecting from an angle of 30 degrees or less. I don't think 45 would work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Uther
In fact, the short throw distance on the Panny is an advantage in your setup, rather than a disadvantage.
How so? If I were projecting straight on, perhaps, but since I'd be projecting off center, it would seem that the angle would be greater than what keystone correction could handle.

Just curious.

Fat E

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.