AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. background

Im a college student, always wanted to have a better sound quality..

i got [audio technica ADH -700] headphones last month to start with

and I am not very pleased... I think it might be because of my laptop's soundcard or something... its got big white noises.

I have 2.1 logitech speaker that I bought 2 years ago and... it really sounds really unrich, not filling, unclear etc... it was 40 bucks or something

enough of that crap, I was looking through amazon, and I saw BOSE companion 5 multimedia on 10% discount ($360) and saw some people just praising and some people just saying crap about it.

it says that it has USB output that connects to your computer directly with its own soundcard sort...and blah blah and I thought this is what I need

but its a big bucks and i wanna spend it right. It looks cute and all but sound is what matters --- in the end

I will be watching movies on my laptop once in a while... but listening to music is my priority dont need a home theater.

so...forum what do you think? do you think I should get an amp to support my laptop's poor soundcard? or just get a new soundcard?

Bose? klimpsch?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloolive /forum/post/18258473

... Bose? ...

Not Bose.

Tim

·
Registered
69 Posts
A set of the Swan Swan D1080MkII sold on EBay not long ago for $99 which I think is a good deal. They are regularly $179 and the newer 08 are $159 on the same site listed above by wiggin.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Avoid Bose like the Plague or an AIDS infected hooker. Suggestions above are very good choices.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
How about the Tweakcity Audio WAF-1 and Gizmo combo? $309 shipped and there seems to be a pretty good buzz about those speakers.

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite /forum/post/18258769

How about the Tweakcity Audio WAF-1 and Gizmo combo? $309 shipped and there seems to be a pretty good buzz about those speakers.

This is a good setup too. I'm currently running the x-ls and the gizmo as my desktop.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Everything mentioned has been good advice. If you need smaller speakers, the Swan and the Bose are good options with their smaller enclosures and built in amp.

The TCA Gizmo/WAF-1 combo allows for more flexibility for the future (subwoofer, other speakers, etc), but is a larger package.

If you want to max out to $400, I recommend getting the $99 NuForce uDAC, which is a USB DAC (kinda like a soundcard) that you can plug your headphones and your amp/speakers into. It vastly improves any laptops soundcard, and gives a very black background (it eliminated the hiss on my Macbook Pro - I use a pair of AD700, btw).

Definitely avoid the Bose. They tend to offer very low sound quality for the money, as well as being inaccurate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the suggestions guys haha

wow...i wanna try bose just to check out how ****ed up it is...

avoid it like an aids.. lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at the products above, and I like TCA Gizmo v1.0M and WAF -1 pakage and Swan M200MKIII. It looks like M200MKIII has an amp built in(less pain in the ass) and it has better design. But TCA product has more fliexibility for future.(Not planning to have a full 5.1 system yet)

If both of them are equally great, I'll go for the TCA combo just cuz its cheaper

what would you say about the sound q? is Swan worth paying extra $100?

Black zarg suggested me to get a USB DAC and I really need something like it..

the hiss kills the song...

is there anything that can replace gizmo with the funciton of USB DAC so I can plug my headphones in or the speakers?

if not, I'll get Nuforce uDAC too if it can work well with my AD700 it would be great... Thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
For my desktop at home, I run the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 system. I am happy with it so far. It gets very loud, enough to piss the wife off LOL.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloolive /forum/post/18264351

I looked at the products above, and I like TCA Gizmo v1.0M and WAF -1 pakage and Swan M200MKIII. It looks like M200MKIII has an amp built in(less pain in the ass) and it has better design. But TCA product has more fliexibility for future.(Not planning to have a full 5.1 system yet)

If both of them are equally great, I'll go for the TCA combo just cuz its cheaper

what would you say about the sound q? is Swan worth paying extra $100?

Black zarg suggested me to get a USB DAC and I really need something like it..

the hiss kills the song...

is there anything that can replace gizmo with the funciton of USB DAC so I can plug my headphones in or the speakers?

if not, I'll get Nuforce uDAC too if it can work well with my AD700 it would be great... Thanks

You could get the Nuforce Icon, which sells for $230 on Amazon, which is a amp and a DAC. However, you're limited to using their speaker wire (smaller, proprietary connectors, in order to fit the compact package) so if you wanted longer runs it'd be somewhat of a hassle and more expensive. Also, the DAC unit in the Icon is inferior to the one in the uDAC - there's a premium for all in one

Interesting that you have the AD700! I also have a pair of AD700s. Getting rid of the hiss was a huge plus, but I also found the uDAC to have a slightly warm sound signature that gave the AD700 some more "meat and potatoes" - just more rich and full and a little kick to the low end (but still not overpowering there). There's a VERY long uDAC thread at the Head-Fi forums.

The Gizmo has the benefit of a subwoofer output, so you can add a sub when you have the cash to cover the low end - once you get one, you won't go back!

All in all, either choice would be a significant improvement over your speakers right now. I believe both companies offer a 30 day money back guarantee - I think TCA still pays for return shipping if you don't like them (you can PM the owner of TCA - his userID is craigsub).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg /forum/post/18265961

You could get the Nuforce Icon, which sells for $230

The Gizmo has the benefit of a subwoofer output, so you can add a sub when you have the cash to cover the low end - once you get one, you won't go back!

All in all, either choice would be a significant improvement over your speakers right now. I believe both companies offer a 30 day money back guarantee - I think TCA still pays for return shipping if you don't like them (you can PM the owner of TCA - his userID is craigsub).

Isn't AD 700 so comfortable? I can wear them for hours... without hurting my ears really something I need when studying...I'll get the Nuforce uDAC for more kicks!

so.. the gizmo allows me to have a sub for later which is good im looking forward to have a 5.1 when I move out of the dorm...

If I get the Swan or WAF-1 can I use them later for at least the surrounds later?? I guess the gizmo only allows 2.1, whole new set up will be required but i'll have 2 speakers to start with

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloolive /forum/post/18266437

Isn't AD 700 so comfortable? I can wear them for hours... without hurting my ears really something I need when studying...I'll get the Nuforce uDAC for more kicks!

so.. the gizmo allows me to have a sub for later which is good im looking forward to have a 5.1 when I move out of the dorm...

If I get the Swan or WAF-1 can I use them later for at least the surrounds later?? I guess the gizmo only allows 2.1, whole new set up will be required but i'll have 2 speakers to start with

Yes, the AD700's are great =) Screw the weird looks we get!

The WAF-1 and other passive speakers can be outfitted to pretty much any system - if you want to upgrade in the future, you can get a pair of towers for fronts, and use the WAF-1 as surrounds with a HT receiver. The Gizmo can still be used in a desktop application with other speakers/subs as well. The Swans would not be able to be used as surround speakers, or other speakers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts