AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was delighted to find this forum and read the threads that were posted. Could anybody explain about the Barco 1208 crt projector. How does it compare with the Barco 800/801 or Sont 1272Q's. Any information would be really appreciated as I know nothing about the 1208 series. Are they HDTV compatible? what formats will they run etc etc.

Thanks

Pete

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yes, they can not only do HDTV, they can do much better (higher) resolutions.

I suggest you do a search of the archives regarding these particular PJs. Many people are very happy with these PJs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You have not seen any of these PJ do you.

I will start by telling you a little about my own projector. It is the BD801s you mention. I have not many reference points so take it with pint of salt.

Even this low end machine looks fantastic. I have compared it to the Yamha DPX-1 and the plus piano, also seen the Seleco SVG 800 driven by the internal linedoubler. It looks better than any of mentioned PJ by a good margin. I use a PC with DVD drive and standard graphic adapter. I am not using a geforce or radeon card, but I will in the future.

I can almost compare it to the local cinema.

Have not seen the 1208. It must be super sharp.

I would have wanted to visit a nearby avs member to see for yourself. Thoose screen shots does not really say much, it looks even better in reality.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Andre is right...

I'm using a Barco 701S --- and using the S-video input. The picture is amazing! I haven't had time to set up an HTPC. (money is an issue as well.)

Go see one of these PJs in action. I think you will like what you see.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
You will most certainly want to run that 1208 with a HTPC or scaler. That machine will do 720p standing on its head and 960p should be a breeze. Your best bets for DVD. Of course HDTV is no problem there as well.

--Jerome

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK this is were my ineperience comes in, but I joined the forum to learn and ask people who can help. So having said that what is a HTPC or scaler. Will I need a line doubler? If so any suggestions

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Pete,

The problem you run into when throwing standard video images to a large screen is that the scan lines in a NTSC field stand out. Doubling the number of lines will give you a progressively scanned image where a complete frame of video is displayed instead of interlaced video fields. It helps to get rid of the scan lines. You can get a doubler like the Iscan Pro, which will line double NTSC to 480p. Or, if your projector supports even higher resolutions, then you can scale even higher. A scaler such as the Quadscan Elite will work well. A HTPC is a home theater personal computer. Many folks use them for film-source DVD playback since the image quality is terrific and they are inexpensive.

Before I ramble on too long, let me refer you to some information on these subjects:

It All Adds Up: Personal Computers And Home Theater
Front Projection: Getting the Big Picture
High Performance Home Theater On A Budget: Buying A Used CRT Projector

That should help get you started.

--Jerome

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
also, check out the Home Theater Personal Computer Forum here at AVS. HTPC is the way to go... but get your PJ first.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
A couple of words about the big-beast 1208...

it gives an undiscussed superior image quality, in terms of brightness, details, colors and resolution, compared to all the other models you mentioned. The main difference is the fact that it's EMF (electromagnetic focus) equipped, when the other models are EF (electrostatic focus) equipped. It improves the focus and the definition a lot. The main problem is the fact that it is: 1) very, big 2)very difficult to set-up, if you lack the required experience. You will have to manage electromagnetic (zone) focus, and the astig per zones, too!

ciao

Romano

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Romano ---

is it really harder to set up a Barco 1208 than other Barcos (like my 701S or 708)?

p.s. what ever happened to that Marquee 9500LC that you bought at an auction in the USA from some military base?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.