AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i'm new here

I would need an advice on what i have to pay attention to when considering the performance of the projector.

Namely I need something capable of at least 1280*1024 resolution capable of showing a picture with a ~ 12m diag from ~ 6m of distance.

Obviously the luminance is an important factor i presume

something of at least 3000ANSI?

I don't have any experience with projectors so i have no feeling whatsoever.

Also what about contrast?

I'd be thankfull for all the advices i could get

Oh and my apologies if i posted in the wrong section

best regards

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _saiko /forum/post/15442585

hi i'm new here

I would need an advice on what i have to pay attention to when considering the performance of the projector.

Namely I need something capable of at least 1280*1024 resolution capable of showing a picture with a ~ 12m diag from ~ 6m of distance.

Obviously the luminance is an important factor i presume

something of at least 3000ANSI?

I don't have any experience with projectors so i have no feeling whatsoever.

Also what about contrast?

I'd be thankfull for all the advices i could get

Oh and my apologies if i posted in the wrong section

best regards

If you want a 3,000 lumen HT projector, you are in the wrong forum. Skip the under $10,000 forum and go straight to the over $20,000 forum.

What is your room size?

Are your walls light or dark colored?

Where can you mount your projector, wall, ceiling or table?

What posable throws can you do?

What size screen are you interested in?

What are your sources, SD TV, SD DVD, HDTV and or BD?

What is your budget?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Just incase you're bad at your conversions, that's 472 inches! You're going to need a bright and high resolution (higher than your initial min) projector to meet that demand. This, of course, is the expensive projector territory.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _saiko /forum/post/15442585

hi i'm new here

Do you need 1280x1024 or just capable of accepting 1280x1024 and rescaling to it's native size?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
You will also need a PJ capable of accepting a special wide angle lens. Most PJs are only capable of half the diagonal you want from the throw distance given.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok just one correction it seems i need "only" ~7.5m (255 inch) diag

source is 720p

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15445323

Do you need 1280x1024 or just capable of accepting 1280x1024 and rescaling to it's native size?

what do you mean need and capable of accepting?

i've seen numerous projectors stating they have eg 1024*768 res and max 1280*1024. What does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod1937 /forum/post/15444746

Just incase you're bad at your conversions, that's 472 inches! You're going to need a bright and high resolution (higher than your initial min) projector to meet that demand. This, of course, is the expensive projector territory.

higher res also?

and yes... my finances reach out for ... that 3000$ range :x

is it really impossible?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _saiko /forum/post/15447168

what do you mean need and capable of accepting?

i've seen numerous projectors stating they have eg 1024*768 res and max 1280*1024. What does that mean?

The projector may accept those resolutions, but the actual physical resolution may be different. As an example, I have a 720P (1280 x 720) projector, but the projector will accept a 1080P signal and scale it down. The resulting image will still only be 720P max.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
All digital PJs have a native resolution - that's the number of real pixels it is able to display. Max resolution points to the maximum signal resolution it is capable of receiving and converting to the native resolution.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
The BenQ SP830 may be the closest to what you want.

- 1280x768 native resolution

- 3500 lumens

- @ $2K

Can display a 217" diagonal image with 26fL brightness from 25 feet away

From 20 feet the maximum image possible is 175" and 37fL

The Optoma TX1080 gives you a 1080p PJ with 3600 lumens but will only display a 150" diagonal image from 20 feet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15447320

The BenQ SP830 may be the closest to what you want.

- 1280x768 native resolution

- 3500 lumens

- @ $2K

Can display a 217" diagonal image with 26fL brightness from 25 feet away

From 20 feet the maximum image possible is 175" and 37fL

The Optoma TX1080 gives you a 1080p PJ with 3600 lumens but will only display a 150" diagonal image from 20 feet.

and optoma from 30 feet?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _saiko /forum/post/15447507

and optoma from 30 feet?

223" @ 27fL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15447539

223" @ 27fL

that's what u concluded strictly on technical spec or u actually had the chance of testing it?

i mean... i don't want to buy it, set it up and conclude that it is not nearly enough

especially since you people were mentioning 20k $ ranges

oh and fL?

i guess something with lumens right?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Of curse no one here has actually tested it. No one in this forum section probably needs a 3.6K lumen projector. Anyway, here are the throw distance measurements for the unit: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

Seems like it has awesome specs for the price. I vote for that one.

Also forgot to add, it is a DLP, and to reach that 3600 lumen rating, I am guessing it has a super slow color wheel. If thats the case you should go to what ever big electronics retailer you have and look at DLP displays and see if you see somthing called the rainbow effect when watching them.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-TX1080.htm

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* /forum/post/15448082

... Also forgot to add, it is a DLP, and to reach that 3600 lumen rating, I am guessing it has a super slow color wheel. If thats the case you should go to what ever big electronics retailer you have and look at DLP displays and see if you see somthing called the rainbow effect when watching them.

The lamp is 350 watts. Couple that with a bigger optical path and you can reach higher lumens without a 2X colorwheel. The noise level will be higher due to the fan but all high lumens PJs are noisier.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _saiko /forum/post/15447892

that's what u concluded strictly on technical spec or u actually had the chance of testing it?

i mean... i don't want to buy it, set it up and conclude that it is not nearly enough

especially since you people were mentioning 20k $ ranges

oh and fL?

i guess something with lumens right?

Without complete details on the room and ambient light conditions, nobody can guarantee anything.

Foot Lamberts is a measure of perceived brightness. You need 12 to 16fL for a theater setup so more is better in an auditorium or conference room setup.

You can also combine a high gain screen with your PJ to really pump up the brightness. Add a Dalite High Power screen and your fL jump up to 72fL.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15448199

The lamp is 350 watts. Couple that with a bigger optical path and you can reach higher lumens without a 2X colorwheel. The noise level will be higher due to the fan but all high lumens PJs are noisier.

Well sinice PJC didn't publish color wheel speed, I am gussing its only 2x, or maybe 3x. I would not get a high-power screen unless you have actually seeon one before. I personally can't stand the terrible viewing angle. You also have to sit level with the projector, and if its noisy that would cause problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15448244

Without complete details on the room and ambient light conditions, nobody can guarantee anything.

It's an old type cinema room. I don't know bout the dimensions but it surely could fit 400-500 sitting places ...

The ambient light conditions shouldn't be of a problem i suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15448244

You can also combine a high gain screen with your PJ to really pump up the brightness. Add a Dalite High Power screen and your fL jump up to 72fL.

by screen you mean the projection screen, the "canvas" ?

what are the price tags?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _saiko /forum/post/15450649

It's an old type cinema room. I don't know bout the dimensions but it surely could fit 400-500 sitting places ...

The ambient light conditions shouldn't be of a problem i suspect.

by screen you mean the projection screen, the "canvas" ?

what are the price tags?

The screen is the canvas. At your size, it will cost as much as the PJ itself.

When projecting for the size group you listed, the screen is very important. As mentioned above, the high power screen will be too restrictive for a wide angle audience. The materials needed to push up the gain tend to narrow the viewing cone for the audience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.