AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a model-b with Hi-Power, extract the material, throw away the hardware and attach the material to a frame I will build.

Questions:

Is there black vinyl border around the Hi-Power material I could use to staple into?

If so, what is the width of that border and will it hold the tension without tearing thrue?

If not, and I want to try the sreen door method, what should be the groove and "string" width, so it is tight enough but not impossible to fit with the material inside the groove ?

I own a permwall right now, but with HCDM, and I think the price is way too high for what it is... I will definitely go for a DIY screen, but I hope you can tell me what "NOT" to do, so I will do it right the first time :)

Thanks a lot! This site is the best!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I think on the standard border size it is about 1.5 inches. No border on the square screens I believe. On my Matte White screen it is rather tough vinel like material and I think you would be fine stapeling through it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The standard is 2" on all four sides.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I did the same thing and used duct tape to attach the screen to the frame.

You can use little pieces of duct tape all around the frame and work the fabric until it's tight on all sides then staple right through the tape and screen into the frame.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If your doing this to get rid of wrinkles your wasting your time, as the High Power does not show it like ALL other screen's that have wrinkles.

David

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The main reason I want to do this is because I like the look of fixed screens better. I would of course add a outer black border to the frame, made of wood covered with black velvet.

I learned here that the price of a model B is less than buying the material alone.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I did the HP model B tear apart trick two weeks ago and it worked well. my 8'x6' model B had about a 1 inch to 1 1/4 border. The border does not include the bottom of the screen. They ran screen material right up to the pull bar with no border present. From the two or three sources I found, the model B high power ran about 1/3rd the cost of 'cut to order' material.

I recommend that you use industrial strength velcro to mount it to a frame. I doubt you would have any trouble with staples tearing the thick vinyl, but it may tend to wrinkle or wave if they are not installed just right. With velcro you can tweak it a few times as needed to get the wrinkles and waves out. I plan to post a few pics next week after I finish major tweaking of the theater room.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Velcro sounds like a very good idea. I don't know where to find this "industrial strength" type, but I guess hardware stores show be the first place to look at.

Looking forward to see your pictures.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have seen industrial strength velcro at both Lowes and Home Depot. They generally sell it in a twenty or thirty foot roll. Staples are cheaper, but velcro is more forgiving of mistakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.