AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
JVC NX-9, Marantz 7010 11.2, Audiophysic, Klipsch, Samsung UHD, NVIDIA shield, Seymour/SE
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a new arena for me but as i started working with a local HT company, the issue of my room layout came up. I have some ok dimensions but i have an unusual issue that my room has a ventilation duct that goes across the room. There is about 3-4 feet from the duct to the area i am looking to put a screen. I can move the projector back to 10-14 feet but will lose the 7 inches from the top of the ceiling to play with. I can get a 100-105 inch screen at the back position but it will require me to go with an acoustic drop down screen versus a standard drop down. One option was a possible ultra short throw projector. I see viewsonic, panasonic, etc make one but has anyone used this in home theaters. most of these seem to have the business angle and may not necessarily have the lens or internal processing for great home theater. ANy suggestions as i look at this option. i have been looking closely at the Epson LS10000 on the high end of my budget.

·
Registered
32,845 Posts
This is a new arena for me but as i started working with a local HT company, the issue of my room layout came up. I have some ok dimensions but i have an unusual issue that my room has a ventilation duct that goes across the room. There is about 3-4 feet from the duct to the area i am looking to put a screen. I can move the projector back to 10-14 feet but will lose the 7 inches from the top of the ceiling to play with. I can get a 100-105 inch screen at the back position but it will require me to go with an acoustic drop down screen versus a standard drop down. One option was a possible ultra short throw projector. I see viewsonic, panasonic, etc make one but has anyone used this in home theaters. most of these seem to have the business angle and may not necessarily have the lens or internal processing for great home theater. ANy suggestions as i look at this option. i have been looking closely at the Epson LS10000 on the high end of my budget.
Big difference between 10' of throw and 14' of throw. What is your viewing distance? What is the actual throw distance that you have to work with? Some pictures of your room would help.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Sony has an ultra short throw projector -- the LSPX-W1S -- that would do the trick. Only issue may be cost....$50K. SIM2 has an LED projector -- M.120ST -- with a 0.675 lens that's less than half the cost of the SONY. I'm sure there are others with fixed short-throw lens options.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Looks like you need one of these:

http://www.lg.com/ae/projectors/lg-HECTO

Not for sale in the USA.

Do a search for Ultra Short throw 1080p Projectors.

There are others. The sony 4k unit looks sweet but 50k ;)

Nashou

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Looks like you need one of these:

http://www.lg.com/ae/projectors/lg-HECTO

Not for sale in the USA.

Do a search for Ultra Short throw 1080p Projectors.

There are others. The sony 4k unit looks sweet but 50k ;)

Nashou
By comparison the LG model is a "toy" to the other models listed in this thread. Picture quality by comparison would be something of a joke. :)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I agree.

I was just saying the form factor. The Ultra Throw type.

Not sure of any other types, I just did a quick Google search ;)

Nashou

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I agree.

I was just saying the form factor. The Ultra Throw type.

Not sure of any other types, I just did a quick Google search ;)

Nashou
I only mentioned it because the title mentions "high quality" ultra short throw projector.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Runco has an ultra short throw projector, the Runco LS-100D which is even cheaper than the Sim2 model and is a decent performer. I've had one here.
Not that much cheaper...$1K less msrp. But the SIM appears to be brighter. On a 110" screen (96" image width) the M.120ST would be a bit over 5' away from the screen. I think Christie may have a conventional single-chip DLP with a short-throw lens as well.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Barco has a ultra short throw lens, it was demonstrated at ISE, at what half a meter 75 centimeters? Let's say 2-3 feet behind the screen I was told by the representative from Display Development that they showed it at half the distance during CEDIA. The url to this image shows its roots, 'Projection Design'. It is an option on the single chippers, that are old and new PD models. The listed models are from Barco's commercial line-up, but it is available on the 'High-end Residential' versions: http://www.barco.com/nl/Products-So...s/Ultra-short-throw-projection-lens-EN57.aspx.

I only throw this into the mix, because of of the label high quality, and people throwing around 20K+ MSRP subforum units, like the Runco, and the Sony. That LASER unit is lacking brightness specced at 2000 lumens, the developer told me he was working on a new version, and the main point of attention was increased brightness, hopefully for next year.

Single chippers even with an expensive lens will come in well under $20K, tough I haven't looked into these unit specifically, so no information on how much below the 20K limit of this subforum.

The Panasonic is 0.38:1 vs Barco's 0.28:1, and available on all of its commercial single chippers, I do have a booklet with MSRP in Euro's.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Of course even the least expensive Panasonic will probably eat up the listed budget, without the lens. So, why is everyone throwing in Hecto's (20K list?) Runco somewhat over 20K list, and the 50K Sony?

DIY, with one or two first surface mirrors, can be done at acceptable budget with 'digitals', with Nashous projectors this would cost a small fortune;-).

·
Registered
JVC NX-9, Marantz 7010 11.2, Audiophysic, Klipsch, Samsung UHD, NVIDIA shield, Seymour/SE
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for replies. Cost wise, the acoustic screen option may be the best route and lower the screen a little bit. Just was trying to avoid that.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have an LG Hecto and if set up properly the image is fantastic. I have seen the full range of high to low end projectors and it holds it own well. Getting a 100" image from 22 inches is amazing.
I have a Hecto and mine is set up 100% correctly because it was done by me. I really hope LG bring out a good cheap two size version of the Hecto and to be sold at an realistic price.
Have a read Guys that are interested in the Hecto as there could be interesting plans for the Hecto in the near future.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/146328-hecto-laser-display-using-the-upgraded-sc105-screen/

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have an LG Hecto and if set up properly the image is fantastic. I have seen the full range of high to low end projectors and it holds it own well. Getting a 100" image from 22 inches is amazing.
This might interest you as you own a Hecto. Have a look at the above link and how I introduced LED Back lighting on the screen.(towards the end of the thread)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a fairly difficult scenario that an LED wall would be the best option, but that's not in the budget, so ultra short throw projectors can hopefully do the job. I'd like to project a 7' x 30' image on to a stage backdrop (rear projection isn't possible). Is it possible to blend the images of multiple ultra short throw projectors (with software of course)? I've read that it can be a challenge with these types of projectors, but that's my only option in this particular scenario. Looking at the NEC U321Hi-TM currently, but it and none of these listed in this thread (under $10K) look like they're rated to project an image larger than 100" or so. I would need each projector to produce a 171" diagonal image (with 15% blending, 3 projectors would create a 7' x 31'8" image). Although the plan is to design the stage lighting so that the least amount of light will hit the screen, there will be a fair amount of ambient light on the screen, so the brighter the better as far as projection goes. If blending is possible, I'd love to see some projector suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts