AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the complete Electrohome mods offered by Hi-Rez done on my 9500LC projector, and had them set it up last week. Interestingly they found that two of the tubes' glycol had fogged.

I must say that the picture now is as good if not better than any I've seen at any home or show I've attended. While it costs north of $6000, it is the best investment I've made in the past several years. Colors are much more vivid and true, and 1080P from my DVI card of OTA is almost 3D. Anybody else done this yet?

Bill

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gaw2
must say that the picture now is as good if not better than any I've seen at any home or show I've attended. While it costs north of $6000, it is the best investment I've made in the past several years. Colors are much more vivid and true, and 1080P from my DVI card of OTA is almost 3D. Anybody else done this yet?

Bill
that's a huge amount of money to mod a projector, what exactly did you get for $6K?

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Well, I wouldn't call that a 'mod' per se, that's a whole new set.

:)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever you call it, it was worth it. Of course, you can pick and choose as each can be done separately, but I went with the whole set as I couldn't bear to be without my projector for too long.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would be great, but who is going to have both projectors side by side and set up to their optimum. Maybe at CEDIA??

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gaw2
Would be great, but who is going to have both projectors side by side and set up to their optimum. Maybe at CEDIA??
No, I'm not into doing this at CEDIA or anywhere else, but since you have the Hi-Rez mods and really think they are the "best at any show" you've attended, would you be willing to come down to my shop and take a look at what I'm doing in mods?

I have a partially (VIM/Neck boards only) modded 9500LC, that I'll use with only analog transcoding from component video. Unfortunately for me, I don't have a pure DVI connection, but I have so much confidence in my work, that we'll stay the analog route.

If you come down, and somehow think that your setup is better than mine, I may be willing to take this to the next level.. ;)

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Yea, maybe at Cedia. NOT.

There is a better chance of freezing Lake Michigan in July than that happening. There is very little market in CRTs, let alone CRT mods and the expenses involved would substantially outweigh any conceivable benefit of showing. You must be joking? Right? I would be very surprised to see a CRT FP at Cedia, yet alone a modified one. Cedia is a place for business. Not for hobbyist shootouts.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton
It would be great if you could compare with a pj that has the mods done by etech just to compare and contrast the two.

-B
Considering all the work done by Hi Rez to almost every board in the PJ, and the cost (6 times as much as Mike's mods) , I would certainly hope there would be a noticeable difference. The issue here for me is affordability , it makes sense to put a set of MP boards in even a plain jane M8500 like mine, the pic quality to cost ratio is well worth it. However it's insane to put $6K into an 8500, and for most people it's even more than they spent to buy a M9500LC. I'm not saying the Hi Rez mods are not worth it, it's just that they're beyond what most people are willing to invest. Kudo's to them for doing all that work though, it must have taken a year to figure out what to replace on so many boards.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Well,

Chris Stephens posted several of the mods he designed so it may not be much work for them afterall. I downloaded the CS mods for just about every module. I don't have the skills to do the work though. If I still worked at Solectron I would have had access to people who could have easily done it for me.

-Brian

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Six thousand is peanuts when you are talking SOTA CRT. Suppose one spends $13K or whatever on a fully modded 9500LC. Peanuts compared to spending$30K for a Sony bulb. I would suspect the mods that make the most difference are the neck boards and the vim. Whose are better? I would suspect MP's. The mods to the other boards, there is debate. Clearly there is room for improvement but the issue is do the mods to other than VIM and neck boards make a noticeable improvement? Clearly, the fan mod done by Hi Rez to the LVPS is a few db steps lower (better) than the one done by Tim.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
when I did all the other boards, there was notable improvement.. but one is really chasing after the last 25% or so, compared to what the I/O (VIM and neck boards) bring to the table. This is specific to the Marquee chassis as comments go, but is general enough that it applies to al other CRT PJ's and to all digital units for that matter. I've done (extesive modification) three other technologies as well. (LCD, LCOS, DLP).

What I've done with DLP far outshines anything I've ever done to a CRT projector. As I've said before, the Modified DLP that was at the Montreal show two years ago, was crazy looking enough to have TJN of Sterophile guide to HT run breathlessly up 6 (7?) flights of stairs to querey me about it. Nearly two generations back now, and still one of the best DLP's that anyone has seen.

PS: I might finally have a chance to get the ear of one of the biggest companies in the industry, period. If that happens, maybe 'fidelity' in DLP technology might take front seat. It'll be the only place anyone will have advantage over other brands. Don't know why they haven't bothered.....

You hear that, SAM? Talk now, or forever hold your piece.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Ken,

Maybe you and Darin need to get together at Cedia. Between the two of you there may be a CRT contrast killer in the making.:)

Ericglo

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Remember, one can mix and match for any of the mods Hi-Rez offers. I just got all of them at once as there is a discount for this, one only has to drop and ship the projector once, and I couldn't see being without a projector for longer than two weeks. I've gone the route of steps previously, buying a 7000, then an 8500, then a 9000, and finally this 9500LC, and lost money on each step up rather than ghoing all the way first. I admit to not having seen any of the other modded projectors on this board, just the ones offered by the major high end manufacturers.

I have yet to see any DLP, LCOS, LCD, etc, that comes close to the picture from this projector, and thus it was worht it to me to spend the $600 for a projector that will hopefully last me quite a while. At 5 hours a day watching X 350 days per year ( a few off for vacation) X 5 years, that works out to about $0.70 per hour.

Not too bad a return on my investment.

Bill

·
Registered
667 Posts
Bill,

It would be interesting to see the Hi-REZ mods as I was fortunate enough to see Mike's Mods in action on an uncalibrated 9500LC with slightly worn tubes this past Saturday. These mods were simply amazing. I have one word for you "gamma"!!! I have never, ever seen background shadow detail like this from any display. This was both in upscaled DVD and D-VHS sources. What was also mindblowing was there was absolutely no blooming effect whatsoever when the contrast was raised from 60 to 85!!! The picture was just as sharp and clean. Whatever voodoo Mike is doing, it is certainly impressive to witness. Guess who just ordered Mike's mods and his MP-5 for his Marquee 8110? :D :D :D

Dan

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
Well, I wouldn't call that a 'mod' per se, that's a whole new set.

:)

:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi All,

That included 2 replacement tubes removal and installation of the projector with a 2 hour ride each way.

Gary

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.