AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I need to upgrade my old Sony HC1

I use it for online streaming at sport events, but now that firewire is almost dead, I want to upgrade to something similar but with some newer way to connect to a pc

things I need:

1. good, fast, stabilized lens (I don't need 122113X zoom, 10X is more than enough)

2. a smooth way to zoom the lens (in sony HC1 I have to fight with that little thing on the top in order to get a smooth pleasant zoom - a front ring may be helpful) (not best in class, but better than HC1 does)

3. good sensor with low light capabilities (not best in class, but better than HC1 does)

4. a powerful LED on the front is an interesting function

5. not a bulky one, and at around 1000€

is there anything? I was looking for the JVC PX100, what do you think? how does it compare to Canon HG30 or new Sony CX900 or Panasonic V750?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yordanrhapsody  /t/1522924/hi-suggest-me-a-new-camcorder-i-need-to-upgrade-my-old-hc1#post_24492460

Hi there, I need to upgrade my old Sony HC1

I use it for online streaming at sport events, but now that firewire is almost dead, I want to upgrade to something similar but with some newer way to connect to a pc

things I need:

1. good, fast, stabilized lens (I don't need 122113X zoom, 10X is more than enough)

2. a smooth way to zoom the lens (in sony HC1 I have to fight with that little thing on the top in order to get a smooth pleasant zoom - a front ring may be helpful) (not best in class, but better than HC1 does)

3. good sensor with low light capabilities (not best in class, but better than HC1 does)

4. a powerful LED on the front is an interesting function

5. not a bulky one, and at around 1000€

is there anything? I was looking for the JVC PX100, what do you think? how does it compare to Canon HG30 or new Sony CX900 or Panasonic V750?

Hi yordanrhapsody and welcome to the forum! If your limit is 1000€, the 1499€ Sony CX900 and the 1250€ Canon HF G30 are probably outside of your budget range.

I would look seriously at the 729€ Panasonic HC-V920 instead of the V720 or the JVC GC-PX100. It has a viewfinder (which the V750 and the PX100 lack) and is better in low light.

It also has built-in wifi for streaming.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
According to Sony, the true successor to the Sony HC1, the pioneering HD camcorder, is the FDR AX100. It is the same price the HC1 was when it was introduced, and just as revolutionary. It was the model for the AX100.

See: http://asia.nikkei.com/magazine/20140313-The-Xi-show/Business/Sony-to-release-worlds-first-homeuse-4K-video-camera

You will be on the new frontier of camcorders for the foreseeable future, just as you were with the HC1.

Btw, it is fascinating to read the original reviews of the HC1 - same complaints: what will you view the HD video on? how can you edit it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your reply

for now the only thing that I will do with my camcorder is live streaming (so no need for 4K) and some videos during family trips

hc1 has some little complaints, too little zoom control (impossible to do a smooth slow zoom in and out without too much effort), miniDV that needs to be imported and converted

panasonic x920 is a good camcorder, I don't get the real differences between this and v750... why do you suggest me this older (while flagship model) model over the new v750?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Here's why I would get the X920:
  • The X920 has three 1/2.3" backside illuminated sensors, the V750 has one
  • The X920 has a min illumination of 1.6 lux, the V750 has a min illumination of 2 lux
  • The X920 has a viewfinder, the V750 is LCD only

Unless you really need a 20x zoom, NFC or some of the other gimmicks on the new Panasonics, I would get the older top-of-the-line model - especially at these prices: http://www.amazon.de/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1638&creative=19454&field-keywords=Panasonic%20HC-X920&linkCode=ur2&site-redirect=de&tag=hybrcamerev02-21&url=search-alias%3Daps

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yordanrhapsody  /t/1522924/hi-suggest-me-a-new-camcorder-i-need-to-upgrade-my-old-hc1#post_24497223

thanks, now that I'm on it, is there any camcorder out in the market that allows true slowmotion? at least 120fps (or maybe more) at a good resolution (not only at 640x400)

Consider looking at the Panasonic FZ200. It does not look like a camcorder, but it functions very well as one. Specs include "High Speed Video" of 1280 x 720 at 120 fps and 640 x 480 at 240 fps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry, I'm not interested in camera style camcorders...

another thing, is there any camcorder of those suggested that allows for external zoom/focus control (wired or wireless)? and an external preview screen? for my HC1 seems that wasn't available

thanks

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
With the X920, "you can remotely check audio recording, zoom IN/OUT and shutter ON/OFF, while viewing the live image on a smartphone or tablet."

See: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/HC-X920K

Sadly, the X920 doesn't offer 120p - you would have to either spend over 8000€ for a Sony FS700 or get one of the "camera style camcorders" that Bill suggested for that

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

1 - 9 of 9 Posts