AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just wondering how these drivers would compare with the Dayton RS line of drivers in quality? Pricing is close so it is pretty much a toss-up. The color of hi-vi's drivers is intriguing however, also different than your typical Dayton RS project...Any thoughts?

These http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=297-441&DID=7

are the bass drivers I had in mind. I have no idea what tweeter to use as of yet. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! I am aiming for a 40hz tune to elimininate need for a sub

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, read through a little bit of the Modula MTM design thread over at HT guide and to say im lost would be an understatement
For a first crack at this, maybe the Modula MT would better match my skill-level. I do have 1 question however, I can't find the SD spec for the Dayton RS180s-8 7" driver, does anyone know what it is or where I could find this?

I have Two Dayton DA175 7" drivers sitting here screaming "blast me!".

Single driver tuned to 40hz in a ~.82cu.ft. enclosure, things are looking good so far.

Here is in a .50cu.ft enclosure. It gets rid of the the peak around 45hz.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tuned to 50hz in a 14L enclosure

What would be the more musical choice of these graphs posted above?

Edit: I am noticing that this driver has a relatively low sensitivity. Does the sensitivity of the bass driver itself ultimately tell us the sensitivy of the entire system?

Edit: Question answered.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. I've decided to go with the Natalie P's tuned to 40hz w/ dayton RS28A tweeter. I'll post back with some progress.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Good call on the Natalie Ps. I have heard great things.

I built a pair of the MTs myself and have been very pleased.

Why the 40Hz tuning though?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well mostly to keep as much clean bass in the mains as possible for a lower crossover point, and if I do decide to use a sub it'd be crossed over low enough as not to be localized.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocer /forum/post/0

Well mostly to keep as much clean bass in the mains as possible for a lower crossover point, and if I do decide to use a sub it'd be crossed over low enough as not to be localized.

Righto.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WillD...were infering that I should go with an even lower tune than 40hz? I am open for options. Haven't started building yet.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:

WillD...were infering that I should go with an even lower tune than 40hz? I am open for options. Haven't started building yet.

Well, sort-of. Seeing as it is DIY, it is entirely up to you (as it should be).

However, the design at HTguide is a good one (has them tuned to 32Hz in the PE box). My MTs (a single 7" driver) played well into the 30s, with pretty clean bass.

The Natalie Ps are designed to be accurate, so the bass shouldn't be boomy or loose at all.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely wasn't aware of this driver's bass capability (haven't modeled it in unibox yet) which is why I never considered a tune as low as 32hz. If you're getting into the 30's with an MT (Modula MT?), clean and accurately, I am very impressed. Thanks a lot for that bit of info
much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:

Definitely wasn't aware of this driver's bass capability (haven't modeled it in unibox yet) which is why I never considered a tune as low as 32hz. If you're getting into the 30's with an MT (Modula MT?), clean and accurately, I am very impressed. Thanks a lot for that bit of info
much appreciated.

Neither was I, till I fired them up with some hip-hop.

Very impressive bass for a single 7" driver (Yep, the Modula MT)

Jon did a most excellent job with the design (as expected).

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas-W /forum/post/0

A local builder needed a bit of help with his crossovers so he brought his Modula TMs over for me to diagnose. This was my first experience with them and I was quite impressed with the low frequency output.

That makes me smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd /forum/post/0

Neither was I, till I fired them up with some hip-hop.

Very impressive bass for a single 7" driver (Yep, the Modula MT)

Jon did a most excellent job with the design (as expected).

I mean, from what i've read the only advantage to the MTM designs is added sensitivity, so I guess i'll expect some hefty bass.

Here is my goal based on your suggestions Will

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rough X-over sketch

Putting things this way should help me during the actual install :p

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As soon as I can get my hands on some Masonite or Pegboard to mount the electronics on

I haven't received the BOM yet either. It should be arriving this week some time. I'll have to wait until my next paycheck to order the drivers. At this point all I need are the enclosures and drivers. Ports are ordered along with binding posts...Things are going along smoothly now. Thanks again for suggesting the lower tuning BTW

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here it is

and here is what the crossovers will look like

Haven't decided yet between pegboard or masonite. Also haven't decided if I should put down the cash for a glue gun to mount the electronics.

I'll only use the DA175's to test the crossover after all is soldered (if I don't have the Rs180's by then)

·
Registered
196 Posts
glue gun might not be the best option . its possible for the components to get hot enough to melt hot glue (not all that hard) what might be a good option is to use a small dab of hot glue to get everything layed out then use a 2 part epoxy to permanently secure the components. or you could do solder it to a circuit board and make your own circuit boards.

thats a lot of work though, i would say some good 5 min epoxy on some hard board or peg board and you will be set.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cr-Gor, Thanks for your input. This seems to be a much safer route.

So, i'll glue everything down after everything is wired and tested properly I assume?

1 - 20 of 149 Posts