Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question.

Why do manufacturers go with these exotic bulbs that cost hundreds and only last mere hours? Why hasn't anyone thought about using HID type auto headlights? What is the major difference? I'm sure the K temps can be adjusted somehow????

All I'm thinking about is a 12volt bulb that would take a quarter of the electricity, last upwards of 10,000+ hours and provide replacement cost of say equivalent or less than the price to current bulbs...

Not to mention being able to project an image 40 feet away or so...

Come on, when was the last time you saw your headlights flicker???? When was the last time it took your headlights a minute to come up to full brightness? Haha, if your projector is too bright, simply use the low beam!

Scott

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles:

Whereas the auto bulb puts out a little more than 1500 lumens, the projector bulb puts out about a 15000 lumens - all focus onto about 1 square inch a couple inches in front of the bulb.

[/b]
Point given, thank. But!!! This brings me to another question. Where does 90% of the light go if we figure a common 1500 lumen projector.

I can partially see the loss with an LCD or DILA device because of the passage of light through the media, but why are DLP's loosing so much if they are purely reflective because of the mirrors?

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles:

Ps. How bout using a 120 watt UHP for your car?

[/b]
Hahaha, Lookie there I CAN see Houston from Austin!

Quote:
Originally posted by jmrobbins:

For me personally less than 2000hrs is a waste of money.

[/b]
Any suggestions Mr. Robbins on a long life solution for an Entry to Moderatly priced projector. I'm looking to replace an older Sony 400Q that I love dearly, but is about to go on its 5th bulb...

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Scott,

On a one chip DLP, 2/3rds of the light is lost solely by going through the color wheel.

When the light hits the green section, the blue and red portions of the bulbs output spectrum are blocked.

This is why many one chip DLP's use a small clear section in the design to help post output lumens.

3 panel or chip designs use a prism to split the light and thus it is more efficently used.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Right now there are no options, they all use these lamps. I had always thought that a laser system would come out but I gave up the wait. I feel certain that another system will present itself, nothing stays state of the art very long in electronics.

I just bought a Boxlight 455(LP 340) and while the image is great with well lit images, dark ones are quite poor. If I had it to do over again I would wait till the new projectors with 900:1 contrast appear. Blacks are very important to the image looking like a film. IMHO

[This message has been edited by jmrobbins (edited 06-29-2001).]

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Jmrobbins,

There is a laser system out right now.

It is called the ZULIP is made by Zeiss in Germany

Rough specifications:

5,000+ lumens

>5000:1 contrast ratio

XGA and probably now higher resolution.

The bad news:

>$500,000

>2K watts power consumption

>2000 lbs total weight

And it can put your eye out if your not careful.

Blue lasers are currently very pricey.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

[This message has been edited by MrWigggles (edited 06-29-2001).]

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sstieferman:
Any suggestions Mr. Robbins on a long life solution for an Entry to Moderatly priced projector. I'm looking to replace an older Sony 400Q that I love dearly, but is about to go on its 5th bulb...

Thanks guys...
The NEC VT540 will go 3000 hours in econo mode on a $300 bulb - not a bad deal...

------------------

----

Darren Rogers

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am almost certain it is the light spectrum that requires the use of these lamps. These mini-arc lamps have been used by Lab machines for many years because only they can produce the right spectrum of light. Most filament lamps can not produce a wide enough spectrum of light. Another factor is life, a filament projector lamp( not quartz outdoor lights or headlamps)has about a 50hr life and doesn't remain constant in its light range. Some of the new HP lamps are going for 4000hrs now.

When choosing a projector the cost of the lamp has to be factored in. For me personally less than 2000hrs is a waste of money.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Scott,

I standard UHP, SHP, Xenon or whatever is a technically a high discharge bulb.

Where as standard HID Xenon bulb for a car is about 40 watts, the standard Xenon bulb for a projector is about 500 watts.

Whereas the auto bulb puts out a little more than 1500 lumens, the projector bulb puts out about a 15000 lumens - all focus onto about 1 square inch a couple inches in front of the bulb.

It is a different ball game.

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. How bout using a 120 watt UHP for your car?

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.