Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hidden features in MMC 9.8!

I know that MMC 9.8 has gotten a bad wrap and probably deservedly so. However, I found a couple of new features in it that were actually kind of cool.

First I noticed that you can now choose the wmv9 codec when you are creating a custom MPG profile. What is cool is that it actually does the same deinterlacing for the wmv9 codec as it does for the MPG one. If you just create a wmv9 profile then it doesn’t really deinterlace it actually throws out half of the fields. The MPG deinterlacing actually uses both fields to create the progressive frame. It is not quite as configurable as the regular wmv9 profiles though. I tried the variable bit rate and it didn’t work. It seems to just use the max bitrate as a constant bit rate.

The second thing I noticed was that you can use ffdshow in MMC 9.8. Now you might have been able to do this in previous versions but it is cool none the less. I used ffdshow to make a WMV9 VCM .avi file. I used TomsMoComp to deinterlace and I resized it to 480x360 because my CPU couldn’t handle 640x480. The results were surprisingly good at about 1.6 mb/sec.

I still need to do some more testing to see if the audio stays in sync but I am pretty happy that there are now 3 different methods to encode wmv in MMC. Can’t wait to see the next MMC.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.