AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Hopefully the right area, I have a Marantz PM5005 setup in a cabinet. What would be the correct choice(IR vs RF vs etc) to be able to control the receiver with the cabinet door closed? It has access in the back for remote control in/out in the back(link below) Is line of sight an issue? Any specific product recommendations?

http://manuals.marantz.com/PM5005/NA/EN/DNTXSYjdiaenwo.php#DNTXMLvwgaubph

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Before getting to far into this, I would check to see if the enclosed space will provide enough ventilation for the receiver.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You just want to control the receiver? You've got some choices. In order of increasing cost:

First, use an IR repeater like this. You put the receiver "eye, or target wherever you want, then use the connecting block to forward that signal to your hidden components.

Second, use a Next Generation Remote Control Extender. This has a little RF base station you put within line of sight of the hidden component. The base uses a rechargeable battery you put in the OEM remote. Don't ask me how it works, and it doesn't look like it would, but it does.

Third, use a universal remote solution that can communicate with an RF base. Harmony Elite, older Harmony 890 or 900, Nevo C3/Xsight Touch, URC narrowband remotes, or RTI.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before getting to far into this, I would check to see if the enclosed space will provide enough ventilation for the receiver.

I’ve had this setup for a couple years, just getting sick of walking into the room and opening the cabinet. Just use the PM5005 to power two speakers for the record player/computer. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I want something completely contained/hidden in the cabinet then I’m looking for RF, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
411 Posts
That's one option. As mdavej and I have shown you, you can also just use an IR repeater.

I suppose it depends on if you want to use the remote(s) you've got now or move to something new.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You just want to control the receiver? You've got some choices. In order of increasing cost:

Third, use a universal remote solution that can communicate with an RF base. Harmony Elite, older Harmony 890 or 900, Nevo C3/Xsight Touch, URC narrowband remotes, or RTI.
I was quoted $5000 Cdn for RTI system (with physical remote, or $3500 w/o) and $350 for a harmony elite. Is the RTI that much better/worth it? my initial home theatre budget was $10,000 - 15,000.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was quoted $5000 Cdn for RTI system (with physical remote, or $3500 w/o) and $350 for a harmony elite. Is the RTI that much better/worth it? my initial home theatre budget was $10,000 - 15,000.
That's a question you have to decide yourself. Harmony is all DIY, as are the ir repeater and the next gen remote extender.

URC and RTI make a much more robust and capable control system. They are generally programmed by a dealer though, which as you've seen can add up. You can DIY URC, since some dealers will give you the software with the remote, but you are on your own for support when you run into trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts