AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to use M & K active 150p's for my 7.1 system. While I can use stands behind a perma-screen for my L, C, and R I also want to hide my four surrounds in decorative columns. However, because these speakers have internal amps they are rather large: 12.5'' H x 10.5'' W X 16'' D.

Is it ok to have these active speakers recessed into the wall a little so the column can be 12'' deep instead of 16''? Should I forget columns altogether in order to have access to the amp setting dials? I really like the idea of hidden surrounds and decorative columns. Any advice?

Chris,

·
Registered
306 Posts
Several people have asked this question before.

Most of the answers lists warnings about how the sound is likely to be worse.

The column may turn into a resonating chamber (like a guitar body) which would sound terrible. The sound of the speakers may be muffled and have multiple reflections from the wall (especially if recessed). If the speakers have a port, that needs to be open with easy air flow. If the speakers are bipolar or dipolar with speakers on multiple sides you need to keep all the sides with speakers unobstructed.

Some people complain that fabric is not completely transparent to sound at various frequencies so hidden speakers won't sound as natural.

To prevent the columns from being resonating chambers they should be filled with sand or fiberglass insulation to help absorb sound that gets into the interior of the column. Sand works better, but it is a pain to use that much weight, and keep it from leaking out. The columns would have to be very strong, rigid, and heavy to make it hard for sound to make them vrbrate. You would need to line the area around the speaker with material to limit reflected sound.

Having columns 12" or 16" deep might look out of scale unless you have a really large room.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Since the speakers have internal amps you should be concerned about the air flow around the heat sink to make sure you don't burn out the amps from overheating.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:
If the speakers are bipolar or dipolar with speakers on multiple sides you need to keep all the sides with speakers unobstructed.
If you use dipole or bipole speakers (the angled kind) the cones will face the front corners of the column. Any tips on materials or such to reduce that corner obstruction? Since the material (gom etc.) needs a guide at those corners it is required to have some sort of material there to keep the edge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.