Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Post, so be nice.

I'm about to move into my first apt on the 7th of Jan and I decided after much deliberation that a projector is my best bet since I may be moving soon. My living room is a 16x21 and I will be projecting wide wise so I only have 16 feet. Here is my idea, I want aprox. 80-60" screen so I was wanting to put a couch then a coffee table, and maybe a DIY mount or something right below coffee table to project onto image, I will hide cords by putting hole through area rug, and keep them with table so tripping not an option. I am looking at the benq PE5120 for brightness and throw range, cause I think I will only have about 8foot throw or so.

Main question: is the coffee table too low to put projector on a shelf under it to project to a screen? I was thinking of this method because projector central said that there is light leakage from back of pj and I wouldn't see this with under coffee table, I would have adequate air passages so wouldn't heat up. My biggest concern is if the image would be too low cause pj may only be 2-3 feet off the ground.

Any other suggestions would be great. If I left out too much details or something I'm sorry I'm new though I have been reading about pj's for about 14 months, and just came back to the idea after the thought of lugging a 170 pound tv up 3 flights of stairs hit me.

THanks all

Krea

·
Registered
792 Posts
KREA,

For casual, day to day viewing, i have installed, a SANYO Z3, under a coffee table. It sits 8 inches off the floor, on a custom SOUND ANCHOR stand, normally used for amplifers. It is also recessed several inches behind the front lip of this table. When friends come by, they are amazed by the gigantic "plasma" screen i installed. They often ask, where did i get such a large PLASMA (my casual viewing screen is 45 x 80", 16/9, i also use for serious viewing a motorized drop down screen that is 108" wide,that utilizes a different, more exotic projector).

When they finally see the amazing picture that is coming from the small unit secreted below the table, they are even more amazed. Anyway, yes you can do this, and as long as the projector has sufficient lens off set, as well as "lens lift" capability (the lens can manually be moved up or down,with out physically moving the projector), you will be able to dial in a great picture. The SANYO Z3 is such a projector. Another consideration would be the new SONY H51, which has similar features.

CHEERS, TOM

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You'll really have to look at the geometry of the projector and your desired screen, table etc. I suspect that a projector with vertical lens shift would be best for you. Study the manual for the projector you are interested in purchasing.

Generally, the projected image is higher than the lens on the projector (or lower if inverted for ceiling mounting) - in the absence of lens shift, this offset will determine your screen position. A rule of thumb for screen position is to have one-third of the screen below eye level.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I agree you need to find out the image offset of the projector, and see if it will shoot the image up high enough onto the screen. If not, you'll have to angle PJ up and use keystone, or buy one with lens shift.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Have a look at the NEC HT1100(if it's within your budget) it has a large offest, might work well for under coffee table use!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, Lemme check these values with you.

I want a 80" screen this breaks down to 100cm Height so 3.28 feet, so 1/3 of that below eye level would be 1.09

So 1.09 Feet

+ 1.00 Foot offset (from benq manual) at 80"

+ Height of Projectors location.

So I would say my eye level from sitting in a couch would be close to 4 Feet, so I'm looking at 2 foot High location of projector?

The benq doesn't have lens shift, but baised on these values it doesn't look like I would need it. If I can place PJ at 2 feet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry I don't have any advice for you but just wanted to say that I think you have a great idea! I will need to do a coffee table mount and never thought that placing the projector under the coffee table would be in the realm of possibilities. Keeping the projector placed under the table also seems like a "safer" location. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What anchor stand are you using with the Z3?

·
Registered
989 Posts
It is never a good idea to run your power cord underneath a rug of any type.....And don't smoke in bed!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I concur with the cord thing...a buddy of mine did that and a few years later when he pulled up the rug he found the extension "frayed" to the point where he got a shock when taking it apart. How it didn't start a fire is miracle and god forbid you spill something on it? Wouldn't want to be the cat walking around that thing :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am thinking of the same product to hold a projector. While perusing the photo galley I found this ingeniusly crafted solution under the photo page of "jfinke"

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...cat=fav&page=1

I wish some one would make this commercially as it it solves a lot of problems for those of us who do not wish to ceiling mount. If anyone here has seen some facimile in a store, please tell. My other idea is a tall column or etarge that would be slender, yet stable to hold a typical PJ.

PKinSFLA

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Nice looking coffee table! Where did you find that?

Although ... the more I think about it ... my 4 year old would probably end up sticking my cat in it and closing the top ... :(

·
Registered
850 Posts
It was at rockler.com - just the plans and the hinge though. I've seen them for sale online and in stores already made though, some much smaller.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow that is pretty nifty. :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just picked up one of these this weekend. I'm not intending to use this in a theater or anything, but the thought popped into my head that if you had a small enough projector and a simple "pop-up" mechanism, you could hide your gear in here in a really slick way. The two top pieces just slide right open...

Check out the Kolsvik from Ikea here (sorry I'm a new user and can't post the linked image dierctly):

ikea.com/PIAimages/17804_PE102231_S4.jpg

It's pretty cheap too!

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Slightly OT but has anyone seen that new all in one PJ from HP that is coming out that is totally portable and you can put it in your closet when you are finished? The DVD and surround speakers are built right into the unit. It looked pretty cool for people with logitics problems and it's only supposed to cost a couple grand.

Edit: Here, i found a link:
http://h30015.www3.hp.com/hp_dec/vid...ctor_guide.asp

·
Registered
176 Posts
PKinSFLA

Have you tried looking at www.ikea.com?

Yes I have ben looking. The problem is that the IKEA store will be not be here in at least a year or so. Since a PJ generates heat, I feel more comfortable examining a stand up close, or rely on a proven model. Until I have thePJ in my hands, I will look for options, than experiment with various PJ positions to see what limitations I have to work with.

PKinSFLA

·
Registered
216 Posts
Owing to throw distance, my projector must sit almost right up against my couch obstructing foot room for person seated in center. As an alternative to a coffee table mount, I placed the projector in a small ottoman which I slide into place when using projector.

A couple of pictures are attached. This version demonstrates concept, different fabrics or a hard wood top can also be used. I left the bottom open for intake ventilation and there is another hole in the side to allow the hot air discharge directly out of box. Originally I though the open bottom might be sufficient for ventilation but the projector got too hot. I fitted a rectangular discharge shoot close to the side of the projector and it now runs very cool.

The foam you see inside is to help with the sound control as the nec is quite a noisy projector.

jtv

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.