AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a list anywhere showing the titles of HiDef or HiRez XBox games? A friend of mine just got the "HiDef" cables for his XBox and wants to put them to the test.

Thanks.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
There aren't many 'hi-def' games. In many cases the framerate is affected by the graphics, or the games display may be affected in some way. FOr example, Syberia and Soul Calibur 2 are 4:3 at 720p. Enter the Matrix is a joke at 1080i. The only 1080i games worth trying are Enclave and Dragon's Lair.

Where the Hidef cables help is with most of the games which are almost all 480p. There are a few that are 480i.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
The only 1080i games worth trying are Enclave and Dragon's Lair.
Um, Enclave isn't 1080i. It's 480p, 16:9 and is one of the best looking Xbox games still.

The following are HD Games (720p and 1080i)

Street Hoops- 720p

Tony Hawk 4 and Underground- 720p

Crash Nitro Cart- 720p

Disney Extreme Skate- 720p

Syberia- 720p and 1080i

True Crime- 720p

Dragons Lair- 720p and 1080i

Enter the Matrix- 720p and 1080i

World Series Baseball 2K3- 720p

NBA 2K3- 720p

ESPN Basketball- 720p

The Sims Bustin Out- 720p

Soul Calibur 2- 720p

Freedom Fighters- 720p

Amped 2- 720p

Out of the above, Amped 2 is the best looking, but overall, Panzer Dragoon Orta is IMO the best looking Xbox game.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize the framerate of the game was effected when you set the output at higher "res", such as going from 480p to 720p. I thought that the games were outputting a signal that was at their max ( a 720p game was always outputting 720p) which was then getting down converted to the lowest factor (if you have a regular old crtv).

I'm new to this stuff...good to learn the higher "resolutions" will effect the framerate of the game.

-JR

·
Registered
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
There aren't many 'hi-def' games. In many cases the framerate is affected by the graphics, or the games display may be affected in some way. FOr example, Syberia and Soul Calibur 2 are 4:3 at 720p. Enter the Matrix is a joke at 1080i. The only 1080i games worth trying are Enclave and Dragon's Lair.

Where the Hidef cables help is with most of the games which are almost all 480p. There are a few that are 480i.
Yep, Dragon's Lair looks pretty sweet. It's a steal for under $20 too!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Amped 2 is increadible looking. The colors are so vibrant on the Samsung DLP it's amazing.

This isn't even a game I thought I would enjoy, we just rented it to see the 720p graphics -- but I'm hooked. Not only is the eye candy great (with no slowdown that I have been able to detect), but the game play is very addictive.

We also checked it out with the composite output and boy, what a difference... I feel sorry for people who play with that little yellow cable plugged in, yuk!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JuiceRocket
Wow, I didn't realize the framerate of the game was effected when you set the output at higher "res", such as going from 480p to 720p. I thought that the games were outputting a signal that was at their max ( a 720p game was always outputting 720p) which was then getting down converted to the lowest factor (if you have a regular old crtv).
It would be nice if this happened. The job of the game developer is to wring every last bit of performance out of the box, though, and in most cases they'll be more than happy to get 5-10 extra FPS (for example) in lieu of rendering at a higher resolution. It's a question of maximizing the benefit for as many players as possible.

This, I'm sure, is why we have so many reports of 720p games that turn out to be unfounded on the game's release. The developers would love to do 720p, but if they get close to the ship date and can't get the 720p framerate where it should be, it'll be dropped (however reluctantly).

With a new round of consoles about 18 months away, it'll be very interesting to see what tradeoffs the various companies make in supporting HD resolutions. I expect- well, I hope- that the next generation of games will use 720p widescreen (as opposed to the cropped 720p we sometimes get now) as their baseline.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by audiom3
Yep, Dragon's Lair looks pretty sweet. It's a steal for under $20 too!
It's a great $10 demo disc to show off your 720p native TV, that's for sure. If only there were a better game in there ;)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've played most of the HD games and if someone coud tell me one game that slows down in the higher resolution I would like to try it. I have yet to notice one that that does this. Maybe it's clever programing or I have a bad eye for this stuff but I do not notice much of a difference.

Freedom fighters is a good example. It runs at 30 fps at 720p and 480p.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Croberto
I've played most of the HD games and if someone coud tell me one game that slows down in the higher resolution I would like to try it. I have yet to notice one that that does this. Maybe it's clever programing or I have a bad eye for this stuff but I do not notice much of a difference.

Freedom fighters is a good example. It runs at 30 fps at 720p and 480p.
You won't find one. The one's that slowed down significantly were not released in 720p - these are the last minute pulls that are referenced above. I guess Soul Calibur 2 would be the best released example - you don't think they cut 16x9 support on 720p and included artificial black bars for a 4x3 image for nothing do you.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
That's pretty crazy, I had no idea. Thanks for the info Inv and Chris.

It's kinda a bummer to find that out actually. I'm waiting for a tv that supports up to 1080i, and I was excited to see some of my xbox games running smoothly on the higher resolution. Oh well. :(

-JR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.