AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to tune in Channel 199 programming at 119 degrees using an existing DISH 500 with SW 64 switch.

Is this possible and if so what needs to be done?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The only way to get DirecTV's channel 199 is to BUY a DirecTV HD STB Receiver. If you have a "spare" feed from the 119 sat LNB then yes you can attach that to the DirecTV HD STB. If you are using Dish equipment ...no way.

Lee

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
As Lee said you will not be able to receive DirecTV programming using any Dish equipment. This includes the SW64 switch. You would have to run a dedicated cable from the 119 LNB and then only be able to run one Dish receiver from the 119 LNB.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Todd,

Go here:
http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/dishes/dsa8900e.htm

and look at 8A)and 8B). There's actually a couple of other configurations that might work also.

Good luck.

------------------

Jay

"Can I please just watch this the way it is supposed to be seen?"

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have a "spare" feed from my DISH 500. If I buy the Direct TV HD STB in theory I can connect it to that feed and be able to get HD programming from Direct TV, but how much does this cost? Is there a monthly fee for Direct TV HD programming?

Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot:
Actually you may be able to do it with a 2 GHz splitter with the power feed through one side and DC blocking on the other. It may require you to tune to a 119 channel with the Dish receiver to get DirecTV 119.

Ken, this has to be too easy. If you're only intersted in one channel this could be the way to go. Has anyone tried it? Maybe I'll scrounge around for a DirectTV receiver and try it myself.

Al Keown

Phoenix

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
If you try, just look for the Para Todos listings.

I am splitting the output of an LNB and am able to get both Dish 119 and DirecTV 119 at the same time. The main difference is that I have the RCA Dish and am coming from the DirecTV end. I am wondering about trying to use the Dish 500 LNBs but don't know if they'll work with the RCA multi-switch.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Actually you may be able to do it with a 2 GHz splitter with the power feed through one side and DC blocking on the other. It may require you to tune to a 119 channel with the Dish receiver to get DirecTV 119.
http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/di...s.htm#splitter

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Ken,

If the LNB has the switch built in, it probably won't work. Other than that & the "Sat C" kit, DirecTV dishes & LNB's are compatible.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Ken H

Its not the signal level I'm worried about, it's the twin LNB switch.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Signal level isn't the issue, the switches are incompatible.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot:
If you try, just look for the Para Todos listings.

I am splitting the output of an LNB and am able to get both Dish 119 and DirecTV 119 at the same time. The main difference is that I have the RCA Dish and am coming from the DirecTV end. I am wondering about trying to use the Dish 500 LNBs but don't know if they'll work with the RCA multi-switch.

kelliot,

Do you have both receivers at the same time?

The LNBs have voltage requirement and will fail if two sources are feeding it.

The most common dish and LNBs for Dish and DirectTV are made by the same company. Yes, they are compatible and you can use the RCA multi-switch.

Will

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ken,

The Dish twin LNB has Dish switches built into it. You'd be better off using two regular old dual LNBs. The next problem is that if you do that then you may need a different kind of Dish switch depending on what you're trying to hook up.

Al Keown

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.