AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the board and scanned 12 pages of posts for ideas, but couldn't find anything specific to my needs. I am a SERIOUS newbie when it comes to setting up surround sound. I need some help.

I just recently bought a house with new hardwood floors in the living room. I just got my RPTV set-up and now it's time to do the speakers.

Here are my requirements/limitations:

1. No running the wires in the wall.

2. Wood floor panels run perpendicular to wire direction (that's out).

3. No totally exposed wires (duh!).

Here's a crude drawing of my living room
http://www.shaady.com/images/livingroom.gif

The RL (rear left) speaker wire can be run across the upstairs entry and hidden along the wall (since that is where the hardwood changes to carpet). I don't see how I can run the RR speaker wire, though? It looks like it's going to have to cross the hardwood at some point (yuck).

Any ideas? Pointers?

Thanks!

Rashaad

·
Registered
12 Posts
you could punch through the wall behind the tv - if this goes to the outside - run the wires around to the back and come back in through the wall where you need to. You are very limited if you don't want put holes in the walls - especially with the wood floors. Good luck - this is always the FUN part! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bronco28
you could punch through the wall behind the tv - if this goes to the outside...(clipped)
No dice. Attached townhome.

·
Banned
172 Posts
I would try to secure as much of the wire as possible to the corners of walls, it is inevitable that you would have some sections of wires running across the hardwood floor, if you want to position your speakers away from the wall corners. Shouldn't be a big deal asthetically, you'll get used to it eventually.

And I prefer hardwood floors to carpets any time of the day.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You can get a wireless transmitter for the rear speakers. I have seen these at Best Buy, and have no idea how well they work. But, you would have to have an amplifier for the rear speakers alone, and place it somewhere next to the sofa. Then, the rear speaker wires just run behind the sofa.

I think that these transmitters operate at line level, so that you could place it between the prepro/receiver and the power amp. Like I said, the rear speakers need their own power amp, and the receiver must have pre-outs. If I was guessing, I bet the transmitter uses digital modulation at 2.4 GHz with a lot of error correction. I doubt it has very good ADCs and DACs in it, but I dont know how hifi your system is. It also might experience interference from your microwave oven and/or cordless phone.

Tim

·
Registered
136 Posts
Option 1)If you have molding around the exit to the garage, and the opening to the dining room this can be pulled from the walls just a bit, loosen the base boards on the left side wall and the back wall. Using a speaker wire like Audioquest F-14 (I think that's the model) that's flat, slide the wire behind the molding and baseboards, then tack back down.

Option 2) Drill into the wall behind the tv, run the same type of wire from option 1 up to the room upstairs, that's probably a bedroom with wall to wall carpeting. Lift the carpeting, run the wire underthe carpet and padding, run across the room and then down the inside of that wall to the rear speakers.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Run the RR with the RL, then behind the couch. That way you'll probably not notice the wire since it is all the way in the back. I did that in my old apartment...

Sorny

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by NormP
Option 1)If you have molding around the exit to the garage,
Yes
Quote:
and the opening to the dining room
Nope, same hardwood all of downstairs, kitchen & dining room incl.
Quote:
Option 2) Drill into the wall behind the tv, run the same type of wire from option 1 up to the room upstairs, that's probably a bedroom with wall to wall carpeting. Lift the carpeting, run the wire underthe carpet and padding, run across the room and then down the inside of that wall to the rear speakers.
You lost me after I heard "drill" :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nutt
You can get a wireless transmitter for the rear speakers.

...(clipped)...

If I was guessing, I bet the transmitter uses digital modulation at 2.4 GHz with a lot of error correction. I doubt it has very good ADCs and DACs in it, but I dont know how hifi your system is. It also might experience interference from your microwave oven and/or cordless phone.
I'm already using 2.4 GHz for wireless ethernet, and 900MHz for cordless phone. I'm going to go with Sorny's suggestion below.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Fourseasons
And I prefer hardwood floors to carpets any time of the day.
Yup :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sorny
Run the RR with the RL, then behind the couch. That way you'll probably not notice the wire since it is all the way in the back. I did that in my old apartment...

Sorny
Brilliant, simply brilliant! That's what I will do...

I knew someone would help me see the obvious. Thanks Sorny!

Kinda reminds me of those pictures where you can see two different things, but your mind is focused on seeing just one...until someone tells you what to look for...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yup, different ways of looking at the same thing. That is why this is a great place.

Sorny

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I recently went through a quick and easy on-wall wire installation, using the Cordmate II paintable plastic raceways. In the end it looked much nicer than I thought. The conduit can easily hold up to 2 12-gauge speaker wires, or 3-4 14-gauge. However, for a longer wire run, it can get fairly expensive -- the 5-feet conduit sells for $12 at Home Depot.

[added in edit] By the way, if your drawing is in scale, your front L/R speakers seem too close to each other for obtaining an optimal soundstage. If possible, I would move them out and in front of what is depicted as two black protrusions in your drawing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.