AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any tool you would recommend for pushing speaker wire under baseboard trim? The obvious choice (to me at least) would be a screwdriver. Unfortunately (but obviously) this damages the sheath of the wire.

I live in an apartment and don't have the ability to pull wires through the walls, so I have to go with running along the perimeter of the room for surrounds.

Brian

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you dont want to try to push all this under molding on the floor you can always get some "on the wall" type molding. You can pick this up at any Home Depot or comparable HW store. I have used wiremold ( http://www.wiremold.com ) Cordmate and Cordmate II products.

-Brian

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife was pretty explicit with her no exposed wires policy. I am sure this would include adding moulding to the walls. If I hope to move to some new speakers in a short while. I need to keep the WAF high.

There is plenty of room underr the moulding, I just need help in a few places getting the wire between the carpet and the moulding.

Brian

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you can, use the handle end of a dinner knife. If that wont work, wrap the end of the screw driver in tape.

If those don't work you may have to remove the moulding first. Just be careful not to damage it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Depending on the thickness of the speaker cable, you can run it under the carpet. A fishtape is pretty much essential to get it right, but your runs can be more direct. I've done this in my apartment. You just lift an edge of the carpet off the tack strip, push the fishtape along the desired path, and use the fishtape to pull the the cable through. Once you tuck the carpet back onto the tack strips and under the baseboard, nobody will even know you did it.

-Mike...

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I cut a 90&deg section out of a PVC pipe and painted it to match the trim. This makes a nice cover for the wires and is easy to remove when I need to alter my system.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up using a butter knife to push the wire under the moulding. It seems to have worked out fine for me. Other than when my finger slipped while I was pushing and I sliced it. But hey, what fun is a home improvement project with no blood. Who would have known butter knives were so sharp.

Brian

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use an old brake tool its kinda curved and rounded on one end about 9" long. I am not sure what it is used for as far as brakes? I bought it at a flea market for a .25 It works awesome! Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.