AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched "High Crimes" on HBO tonight, and was pleased to see the movie start in OAR. But, after the credits, it suddenly became cropped to 16:9.

It's not a movie that demands 2:35 over 1:85, so I wasn't too disappointed but still, this was weird. Oh, and the film grain became MUCH more noticable after the crop, which meant they were zooming some how. It looked the same as if I had zoomed it myself.

Anyhow, not a bad movie. Some interesting plot twists, to be sure.

Has anyone witnessed HBO doing this with any other movie?

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
You must not have been watching HBO for very long. They are notorious for doing that to nearly all their "new" transfers. The early HD stuff was OAR on HBO, but now they do pan & scan, zoom and crop, or whatever you want to call it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
HBO will show OAR 2.35 during credits that are close to the edges of the screen, as to not chop them off. They have done this on several movies - heck even cable networks do it to the end credits of some films. High Crimes looked amazing even in 16x9, however, but 2.35 still seems a little smoother and sharper in HD.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I've had HBO for years, but I've never noticed this. Probably because I catch most movies a bit late.

I do know that the networks have squeezed images to 4:3 to get all the credits in, but I've never seen them go from letter boxed to fullscreen or vice versa before.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amused
Actually, I've had HBO for years, but I've never noticed this. Probably because I catch most movies a bit late.

I do know that the networks have squeezed images to 4:3 to get all the credits in, but I've never seen them go from letter boxed to fullscreen or vice versa before.
I've seen that happen a lot of times even on regular TV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.