AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have DirecTV and I have been planning to put up another dish and buy the Hughes Platinum HD set top box. The question I've been asking myself lately is, "Which is better, HD off of a set top box utilizing the satellite feed or a HD card in my HTPC tapping into the OTA signals" Now obviously since the latter is literally 'over the air' there are some tuning issues potentially. However, is there any conventional wisdom concerning which is actually superior? I've heard OTA is superior to the HD signal that you get through DirecTV. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
719 Posts
You will only get one or two channels off of Directv. OTA is the way to go if it is broadcast in your area. You still need to choose between a STB or HTPC, but I'll leave that question to someone who knows. I'm stuck with HDnet only, but the PQ is great.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I won't get my locals in HD?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
"Which is better, HD off of a set top box utilizing the satellite feed or a HD card in my HTPC tapping into the OTA signals"

All depends if the Hughes box supports OTA as a second feed. (don't own one so I don't know).

Sig says you have a DVD with SDI, will Hughes support or be modded for SDI? That may be the decision point. As far as comparing STB vs HD card, the jury is mixed. STB is more plug and play (but waiting for "the next generation"). HD Card may wind up more feature rich (and cheaper) especially with the Firewire on the MYHD card.

Just my opinion so no flames please!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is an Antenna input for what Hughes calls 'Off-Air Signal'. Went to DirecTV's site and there's no mention of High Def locals. However, was just speaking with DirecTV customer service and they indicated that definitely they ARE broadcasting High Def locals off of one of the satellites. I know they're broadcasting HDNET and HBO off of the 119 degree satellite, not sure if the locals are coming from there or 101.

Furthermore, when I posed the question of how to feed signals into a plasma was basically told that it would be better to feed directly from the HD STB to the plasma rather than feed to the HTPC. Don't know that I've got the funds to get everything in the world SDI modded.

I'm intending to have a total of two SDI modded devices (DVD player and DirecTivo...on the DTivo, still contemplating about waiting for Series 2 combo unit and then spend the $600 to get the mod)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Check titantv.com for availability of OTA DTV in your area.

I think there is only 1 network off of sat right now - I don't remember which one.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by llogan
However, was just speaking with DirecTV customer service and they indicated that definitely they ARE broadcasting High Def locals off of one of the satellites
That's among the most wrong statements ever uttered by DirecTV. As far as HDTV is concerned, DirecTV only broadcasts HBO-H (509), Showtime-HD (543) and HDnet (199). They are rumored to eventually add HDnet-2, 3, & 4. There is a chance they may add Discovery-HD some time after June 17. Most locations can get some local network HDTV.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Called again, this time they not only said that they are doing it but that it's specifically coming off the sat at 119 degrees....ok, I'm confused. Although I'd most certainly trust anyone here a lot more than a CSR or two.

I guess my issue is this, I don't care so much about being able to view HD in real time since I NEVER watch tv in real time. But I'd like to be able to record it. However, if I can utilize an OTA pass through in the satellite HD box so that it at least decodes it for me, the OTA signal should still effectively be unencrypted right? Now I'm not being completely off the wall here am I in my thought that the HD satellite box can decode the incoming OTA signal in addition to what's coming off of the satellite?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
llogan,

If you want to time shift HD programming then Directv is definitely not going to be of any use to you. There is currently no way to record Directv HD. You also cannot record OTA HD with a normal STB. There are a few expensive non-standard (or using discontinued hardware) HD recording solutions available. Look in the HDTV Recording forum for details. BTW, there is DEFINITELY no HD locals on DirecTV. Dish has a nationwide HD feed for CBS that is available to some (not all) subscribers.

Jay

·
Registered
856 Posts
DirecTV only transmits the (3) channels that I previously mentioned, but I believe all DirecTV set top boxes can receive local OTA HDTV. The DirecTV reps probably have no idea what OTA is. Do a quick search in the AVS HDTV programming forum and it will turn out hundreads of threads about DirecTV's HDTV programming ... best way to find it is to search for threads comparing DirecTV to Dishnetwork. There is no way to use a DirecTV set top box to time-shift HDTV with one possible exception. I know next to nothing about it, but I once read about something called 169time modified DTC-100's.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I've been reading the HDTV Recorder forum a bit. Looks like they've modified the RCA DTC100. The unit winds up with two firewire ports, one for daisy chaining, the other for output I presume. Appears as though the limitation, according to them, is that the recorder (DVHS deck) can't handle the satellite HD signal yet but that it will pass the unencrypted OTA signal to the recorder, thereby allowing you to record OTA HD. They also indicated that they don't support the use of the firewire connection to something like an HTPC but that doesn't mean to me that it's not being done. Guess that's what I need to look into next. I'm presuming that this is all people are doing with their HiPix cards and the like (decoding OTA HD and recording it to a hard drive for timeshifting purposes), I think the DVHS angle adds the archival dimension to the conversation but I just don't see myself spending that kind of money for it....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.