AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search here and didn't find anything. Is Replay working on a HD PVR? I know Dishnetwork should have one out around the first of the year

(the date changes) and Tivo should have one out a little after that. I haven't heard Replay mentioned. Does DNNA have any concrete plans?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I guess if they can't even get SD PVRs right, it would stand to reason that there is not a HD PVR in the works. I may eventually have to go with Tivo if they get a standalone HD PVR out. I have DirectTv and I use cable for my local channels so I need a PVR that can handle both cable and satellite feeds.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Considering that Replay is part of D&M, which has some high-end HD products (projectors and displays), it would not surprise me if there were *plans* for such a device. But there certainly have not been any announcements for such a product, and I wouldn't expect one in the next year or so. But you never know, we might be surprised :)

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I'd be shocked to hear that there isn't anyone working on it too.

I'm about half a step away from making the jump to the much hated Tivo, I want Directv digital capture and I'm really interested in the HDTV PVR. I was an early adopter of HDTV, been 3 years now. And I'm really in need of a HDTV PVR. I've been tempted to get my DTC-100 169Time modified, just don't have the $900 for the mod and $900 for the DVHS. I don't even have the $150 for the PC decoder card for my HTPC...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SD4934
Yea, I guess if they can't even get SD PVRs right, it would stand to reason that there is not a HD PVR in the works. I may eventually have to go with Tivo if they get a standalone HD PVR out. I have DirectTv and I use cable for my local channels so I need a PVR that can handle both cable and satellite feeds.
If your locals are available digitally, then you would be fine with an HDDirecTiVo receiver as it will do HD and SD DirecTv and ATSC OTA. At some point there may be an OpenCable HD TiVo box, but not before late next year (I am sure they will want to see this really deployed first). There will never be a box that takes analog HD in and encodes it like a current stand alone TiVo or ReplayTV receiver.

/carmi

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get my locals via analog cable. Most of my locals are not broadcasting in digital yet. I do have an OTA antenna but it is oriented in a different direction than my local channels in order to attempt to recive distant HD signals (very atmospheric dependent). Maybe, by the end of the year, most of my locals will be broadcasting a digital signal. I'll still need cable for my cable modem, though. Of course, I could use the HD PVR for my satellite and OTA feeds and the Replay for the cable signals I need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.