AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm looking to buy mom a pair of outdoor speakers for the pool area. I know the def tech 6500 are very well reviewed, but at $400 a pair they are way over the budget. I'm looking for something more in the $150 / pair price range, preferably high efficiency if it's possible at that price? I have a spare 100w/ch receiver to power them and will stream itunes via an airport express.

Anything like that actually exist?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm leaning heavily towards the yamahas due to price and favorable reviews. The KEF look nice as well but are double the price. I still need to pick up a network music player as well (likely airport express) so saving $100 would pay for the music streamer :)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I'm leaning heavily towards the yamahas due to price and favorable reviews. The KEF look nice as well but are double the price. I still need to pick up a network music player as well (likely airport express) so saving $100 would pay for the music streamer :)
Picked up the Yamaha's for my kids patio.
They are pretty nice for the price.
I'm not normally a believer in speaker break-in,
But, I was initially disappointed in the the 'thin'
Sound. However, after about 3 hours of moderate
Use they sounded much better. Still going strong
After 2 years now.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked up the Yamaha's and sent them to my parents. I don't know that they'll install them before I come back to visit the US in July so it may be a while before I can give impressions :)

Going to try to use an Airport Express tied to an old 2ch receiver to drive them, and an iPhone with waterproof case to control the tunes from the pool area.

Hopefully it should be fairly simple, as long as wifi is strong enough out back. Maybe installing a repeater....

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I originally had those Yamaha speakers for my patio, and they weren't bad for the price. Last year I replaced them with the Def Tech 6500s. I felt that it was a worthy upgrade, but I would imagine I (along with most of us on AVS) am more picky about sound quality than the average consumer.

One thing I'll warn you about is that the grills on the Yamaha will fall off after a year or two. They are glued on with a cheap adhesive that can't handle the summer heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts