AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Blight,

Ironic, but the M-Audio cards have been using VIA's chips by way of the purchase of ICEnsamble for quite a while, and they are nowhere near the $1K mark.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually referring to some of those M-Audio cards.

Terratec have buggy drivers, hopefully VIA can do better

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Blight

Terratec have buggy drivers, hopefully VIA can do better
That's the first that I have heard of this. Could you elaborate please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Before you 'blame' the Envy24 on VIA, they have absolutely nothing to do with it - by the time they bought IC Ensemble, the Envy24 was already on cards you can buy from well, Digital Connection :)

It pains many of us that we have VIA soundcards in our systems as it is :)

My Delta 410 was something pretty cheap from DC ($199? $179?). It was nowhere near $1,000, not even in our funny money.

T.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've gotten quite a few reports from people with the Terratec and Herc. Game Theater that ZP crashes if you use the DirectSound audio decoder with these cards after freeing the filter once.

It only happens with these specific cards and only if the DirectSound filter is used (WaveOut doesn't cause it). I believe it is only limited to Win2K/XP too.

This would lead me to believe that these cards (which may share a chipset?!) have bugs in their DirectSound interface.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You can find the full blurb on Anandtech....

The Envy24HT PCI multi-channel audio controller is a no compromise PCI solution that brings professional studio quality sound to the home PC user. With 24-bit resolution and sampling rates up to 192kHz, the VIA Envy24HT enables the highest recording quality in its class, and provides two inputs and 10 outputs that connect to the latest 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound systems for perfect home theatre performance.

VIA has developed a broad spectrum of silicon solutions for enhancing the PC audio experience, including the highly respected, studio performance Envy24 audio controller that enables 12 inputs and 12 outputs with a 36 bit wide digital mixer. VIA also offers a range of AC'97 audio codecs, such as the stereo output VIA VT1612A with an integrated S/PDIF interface for digital audio connections to the latest devices, and the superior performance VIA VT1616 6-channel audio codec that enables theatre quality sound in both audio-on-motherboard and high-end soundcard applications.

Link refered to seems broken
http://www.via.com.tw/en/multimedia/envy24ht.jsp

Partners

M-Audio Inc.

Imerge Ltd.

TerraTec ProAudio, Inc.

JV Pronan Co.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.