1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
909 Posts
There will be a difference in shadow detail. It is whether the individual can perceive these differences. For example, I've only for a 4k hifi system because I can't tell the difference btwn 4k and 100k system but that doesn't mean there isn't a difference. The main point is whether the individual making the purchasing decision can perceive the difference.

The blacks on the NEC HT1000 were very good but cannot be compared to Russ's CRT. The blacks on a CRT can communicate with you...it goes something like these...." shhhhh....I am deep darkness...walk any further and you will fall into eternity..." whereas the blacks on a NEC is more like " I am a dark dark grey...if you walk any further you will hit a black board.."

Did you find that entertaining ? : )

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I want to argue a rather fine point:

Shadow detail is the differentiation of dark shades of gray in an image. It is mainly based on source material and set-up. Most projectors have plenty of discreet levels to render proper shadow details.

It is the rendering of dark images in general that is better on a CRT. Or quite simply better termed better "blacks"

I think shadow detail is quite good on most digital projectors. It is only the "blacks" that are still marginally better on CRTs.

Like I said I'm arguing a very fine point that is mainly semantics.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
I want to argue a rather fine point:

Shadow detail is the differentiation of dark shades of gray in an image. It is mainly based on source material and set-up. Most projectors have plenty of discreet levels to render proper shadow details.

It is the rendering of dark images in general that is better on a CRT. Or quite simply better termed better "blacks"

I think shadow detail is quite good on most digital projectors. It is only the "blacks" that are still marginally better on CRTs.

Like I said I'm arguing a very fine point that is mainly semantics.
It's not semantics, it's an important distinction. And it deserves extensive discussion. Too often contrast ratio (or black level) and shadow detail are discussed as if they were the same thing, but they aren't. This really deserves its own thread - Mr. Wigggles, would you care to start one?

Quote:
Originally posted by lyndonlim
The blacks on a CRT can communicate with you...it goes something like these...." shhhhh....I am deep darkness...walk any further and you will fall into eternity..." whereas the blacks on a NEC is more like " I am a dark dark grey...if you walk any further you will hit a black board.."
Nice to hear a bit of poetry on the forums. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.