AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on buying a 42" Pio Pro-950HD display, but for the time I'm somewhat stuck with a Bose 5.1 system and a low-end Sony a/v receiver...

I have T/W cable HD/DVR receiver and will get a blue/HD DVD player to go with the new display...

Sirius Sat receiver, etc...

Question 1 is - Should I run my video signals through the low-end Sony receiver or direct through the display?

Question 2 - Given my 10.5' viewing space in my apartment the Bose cube system works great for the size, but what mid-priced 5.1 surround speakers and AV receiver would you guys recommend if I were to go with something new?

I can not wall mount speakers in any way so they have to be on stands or (in the case of the rears) table mounted..

I await your guided responce...

Best,

Wine.

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
Other than switching convenience, it doesn't sound like there's any reason to run video through your receiver. When you get a receiver that can process high bit rate audio over HDMI, then it would make sense to run everything through your AVR.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
On Question 2

Audition Paradigm Cinema (CT90, or CT110, if you want longish speakers), any receiver you like the sound of will work with them (Yamaha/ Marantz/ Denon/ Onkyo etc)

·
Registered
433 Posts
On question 2, I would also suggest reading up on the Yamaha YSPs with a sub. If you have generally clear signal paths around the room and you don't like clutter, I think they're a good choice. The "center channel" speakers provide good voice clarity and the 3D soundstage is quite good considering the single-box simplicity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/12892194

Other than switching convenience, it doesn't sound like there's any reason to run video through your receiver. When you get a receiver that can process high bit rate audio over HDMI, then it would make sense to run everything through your AVR.

That's what I figured - I like Denon products - What A/V receiver would you recomend??

·
Registered
8,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winesmile /forum/post/12901139

That's what I figured - I like Denon products - What A/V receiver would you recomend??

What's your budget? What will you use it for? (Your movie-music mix and types of discs such as CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray, HD DVD) What model Blu-ray player are you getting? That matters for audio. The answers to those questions are key to choosing the proper receiver.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/12902421

What's your budget? What will you use it for? (Your movie-music mix and types of discs such as CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray, HD DVD) What model Blu-ray player are you getting? That matters for audio. The answers to those questions are key to choosing the proper receiver.

Thanks for the quick reply.

My receiver budget is about $1000... I've switched my display to the PDP-4280Hd, but I'm sure that won't change much..

I'm also interested in Pioneer and Yamaha receivers for what it's worth...

I listen to Sirius Sat. - and I know Pio receivers interface with that (as apposed to Denon).

I have a SACD player (wish that format took off a bit more!)

I'm thinking the LG duel format DVD player, but may just go for a blu...

Thanks much for your advice!

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
Looks like the Denon 2808, Pioneer VSX-94THX, and Yamaha V1800 are all in your budget sweet spot. Try the Marantz SR-7002, too. Those are the AVRs I'd consider right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts