Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I learn, the less I feel I know. :rolleyes:

Let me preface this by saying that I am going to wait for the new models to come out, but I want to understand what's out now to hopefully be prepared for when they come out.

I have a $5k budget for a RP TV, and if I were buying today, I first thought I'd get a Pioneer. Then I saw some comments which made the Sony XBR line look attractive. In either case, the cost of the RP TVs is much greater than other TVs with the same size screens. I can't really determine what makes one TV better than another, because I have no clue which one has the best components or even why they're the best components. To add to the confusion, everyone has an opinion which while it's nice to have diversity, it makes it even more confusing.

So at the high end, there seems to be two RP TVs that come to the forefront (stop me if I'm wrong); the Pioneer Elite 64" PRO-720HD and the Sony 65" KDP65XBR2. I've looked at the specs and they seem similar. Additionally, several people here who are familiar with the technology feel that most TVs are about the same picture-wise if they are calibrated. So why ever pay more for one of these "high end" boxes? I'm not asking that as a retorical question, mind you. :D

So what's the deal. Do I really get a TV that's that much better by spending this extra money, or should I just get one of the "normal" versions and have it calibrated? Are the sound systems important, being that I'll be using a seperate tuner anyhow? I see that some TVs come with a built in center speaker. Is that worth it?

Thanks everyone,

Ron

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'm not very familiar with those models, but I know Mitsubishi has a good reputation and I know more about them, so I'll talk about that. Across their series of displays, the optics differ and can make a big difference. I've got a 2 year old 65903, 65" and 903 was the model line, the Platinum 16:9 HDTV. There was the 55, the 66 and the 73. The first two had 7" CRT guns while the latter had 9" guns. 9" guns are usually in the realm of high-end CRT projectors like the Sony G90, and they allow a lot more of the picture to actually be defined. The sweetspot for 7" guns, what comes in a lot of TVs, can be below 720p for example.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Hi, Ron. I left a note here this morning for Artemido, also currently investigating RPTVs, about some performance comparisons (dated now, but perhaps relevant). -- John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.