AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved, and I'm looking to adjust my setup to the new situation. Rear/side speakers are no longer an option for the living room, so I'm looking for a soundbar. I will be replacing a mid-range 5.1 system with a receiver and $300+ per speaker, so I expect a step down in quality, but I'd really like to minimize the compromise :).

The room is rather small (about 15'x15) and confined, with only one wall not complete (5 feet tall and open above that), so I do not need much power. The content would be 20% 2.1 music and 80% TV/Video, but with emphasis on music in video content as well (wife and daughter are into dancing) and some action movies. I'd prefer to spend under $2K for the whole set up, but I do not necessarily want to spend that much if there is no real benefit.

Any suggestions? I was looking at Yamaha YSP-4300...

·
Registered
77 Posts
High end sound bars in no particular order

1) Yamaha YSP-4100/5100 (4300 is a step down in sound quality, but you will have to add a sub for the 4100/5100)

2) Bowers & Wilkins Panorama 2 (plus sub)

3) MartinLogan Motion Vision (plus sub)

The Yamaha will give you the best home theater/surround sound. The B&W will be the best for music. And the MartinLogan is very well review but I have yet to hear it in person, so I can not give an honest opinion on it.

Full disclosure: I own the YSP-5100. I did prefer it to the B&W for my intended use (Home theater), but I would give a good look at the MartinLogan if I was shopping for one today.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You should check out the string on the new Pioneer sound bar- it's brand new and a few folks have received their pre orders- and are giving it very high marks, especially for music...fyi

·
Registered
337 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts