Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

If money is no object, what brands of speakers would you list as top five for music and Home theater?

Thanks,

Ash

·
Registered
277 Posts
Audio Note AN/J

·
Registered
733 Posts
Aerial Acoustics and B&W, in alphabetical order. Since the center is so important, I believe you have to start with the center. I believe the Aerial CC5 and the B&W Nautilus HTM1 are 2 of the best centers made. I own the HTM1...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ash:

In no particular order, I'd suggest you to explore these brands:

+ Aerial

+ Revel

+ Dunlavy

+ Triad

+ Wilson

+ Snell

+ B&W

+ Dynaudio

You might be interested on reading the selection "methodology" I followed in order to come up with the purchase of my Aerial system. I explained that procedure in my (long) Aerial review, which I posted in IV parts at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=109811

Alternatively, if you were interested on having the whole review in one single WORD file, just e-mail me at:
[email protected] .

J.V.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Personally, I dont think ultra high end speakers really have a place in home theater. If you are talking about critical music listening, the ones mentioned are ALL worthy, but, in Home Theater, its a bit of an overkill. Why? Simple, the demands placed are not that great to begin with. We are talking operating in a freqeuncy range of a very limited 80 to around 10 to 12k most of the time. Companies lie M&K understand this and design there speakers with this in mine. The use of the subwoofer, a NECESSITY for true hOME Theater application , has changed the rules. I,myself, have several systems I play around with, including expensive Walsh 5 loudspeakers, yet, I find a simlple B&W CDM series actually works better in Theater, but I could NEVER settle for them in big /full scale(w/o sub) music reproduction. Thats where those speaker mention can REALLY pull there weight!

·
Registered
277 Posts
If money was no object. I would go with the speakers I now have. My present front speakers were purchased for

almost $10,000 less than the speakers I sold to get them.

If you aren't afraid of going against conventional wisdom I would recommend reading at least the 3 free issues of the Audio Perfectionist. The best sound system I have ever heard, and I have visited every high end store in Los Angeles, Dallas, San Francisco, and New York, that I could find, is in Monrovia, CA. It was there that I realized that the articles I had read were the truth. Unfortunately, I had ignored them thinking that they couldn't be right. Especially since Mr. Hardesty had been so villianized on the internet and in many high end magazines. Now I know why. He hasn't been afraid to say, "The Emperor has no clothes!"
http://www.audioperfectionist.com/

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hello Ash,

It is fun to think of a cost no object hometheater.

And if I had the unlimited funds or at least an ultra high budget.

I would opt for 6 B&W Nautilus 801 all around.

Or better yet 6 Wilson Grandslams powered by Krell 650 Monoblocks.

With this kind of budget there is no need for a small center channel. I would opt to have a full range center channel.

Other options would be Dunlavy SCVI or V.

Or maybe the Sonus Faber Amati Homage speakers. These are beatiful hand made Italian speakers that are beautiful to look at and even better to listen to.

Now back to the real world. I am happy with my Mirage M1 speakers in my HT system.

Just my 2cents, Brian

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would have to pick the Meridian 8000 series speakers with the 800/861 procesor and dvd player. I've heard this setup and it is truly astonishing. Of course it costs around $160,000.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Dynaudio

Wilson

Meridian

Revel

No particular order. All are oustanding, just for different tastes. Buying top of the line, the Revel's would be the least expensive. If not going top of the line, best sound in a semi-reasonable $ range would then be narrowed to Revel and Dynaudio.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
177 Posts
MGD Chameleon mains, MGD classic 60 center, 4 MGD studio fives for surrounds, twin MGD 10" subs. Powered up by 9 Marantz MA700 monoblocks.

·
Registered
484 Posts
rjason, has Audio Perfectionist had any comments on VMPS speakers? What speakers did you end up with?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John,

First of all thanks to all forum members for responding to the thread this is why this forum is the best place on earth for home theater enthusiasts.

Price is not a object - I guess that was a mis statement as there was/is a budget - I meant high end speakers.

I ended up with:

Aerial CC5 Center

Aerial LR5's Left and Right

I have a Merdian M 2500 double diaphram sub - I think this is comparable to the SW12 so I will stay with this.

Now for the sorrounds - I am leaning towards:

(a) Buying two pairs of Aerial SR3's to complete the 7.1 set up for my Theta CB2 all extreme dacs.

OR (this one is dicey - request forum members comments on this) - I feel that the rear left and right are more important channels than the side left and rights.

(b) I could use my now to be retiring B&W 803's for rear left and right and use my current B&W DS6's Dipole speakers as side left and right (the DS6's are el cheapo B&W's but have serviced me pretty good over the last three years).

(c) use 803's as rear left and right and get a pair of SR3's for side left and rights.

Route (b) and (c) is a mix match and I am not sure what it will do to the overall performance of sound quality - (a) is not as expensive a option specially because now the major investment is over.

Welcome comments on this mix match - is there anything wrong options b and c or should I try and see how it works.?

Thanks in advance,

Ash

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ash,

Having the front 3 speakers voiced the same is the most important. That way when watching movies a person's voice stays the same no matter which speaker it is coming out of.

If you have spent the money for extreme DACS all around you must be planning on also listening to surround music. That being the case I wouldn't mix speakers. Sell your B&W speakers and use that money to buy used speakers that match your front speakers. If you have to, forget about the sides for now.

For what it's worth I had the whole 8.1 system going for awhile using my CBll. I first used matched direct speakers all around and then experimented using Def Tech dipole speakers for the sides to try and blend the fronts and backs better. My conclusion was that my room was to small (almost 500 sq. ft) for side and center surround speakers. It sounded better just using 5 speakers plus the subs.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rjason,

Thanks for your comments.

With matched speakers all the way around, do you mean LR5's all around or SR3's both by Aerial?

Ash

·
Registered
21,719 Posts
As I have four Aerial 10Ts and a CC5 (and three Aerial SW12 subwoofers) in my room of 18 feet X 25 feet, X 11 feet 11 inches high; and as I've heard similar Aerial & Theta systems at CES, etc., I will say that the equal full range clock placed speakers all around sounds better (like I have - of course), but that's only if it fits into your decor and room and floor plan.

As for the side speakers, hey, I've heard systems with the side speakers, and they don't sound any better - or as good (excuse my prejudice here) as mine. I agree with Bob, the side speakers come in handy when you have a hellava big room!!!

My bias is in favor of equal speakers, electronics and accessories all the way around, if you can afford it, as this will give you the overall best sound and imaging for home theater (but you are compromising stereo only because with lesser surrounds you could buy assumedly better front end stereo).

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ash,

Congratulations on your great system. I have pretty much the same set up less the Theta, my next upgrade;)

If you don't want to buy additional LR5s or if space is an issue the LR3s are a match with less bass extension. If you want a 7.1 system you might consider SR3 sides and LR5 or LR3 rears. This was a suggestion from Mike Kelly at Aerial but I'm well satisfied with my 5.1 system for now.

Good Luck

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ken,

With regards to Amps this is my plan, any comments?? Is it important that the front left right and center be run with same power amps?? I was planning to run my right and left with a 250 Watt Bryston amp and the center with a 400 Watt Bryston amp while I wait to complete my system.

I have:

2 Bryston 3BST's - 2 channel 120 Watts or 400 Watts Bridged as one channel

1 Bryston 5BST - 3 Channel 120 Watts or 400 Watts Bridged as one channel and 1 Channel stays at 120 Watts.

1 Bryston 4 BST - 2 channels 250 watts or 800 Watts Bridged as one Channel.

Here is how I plan to use them after getting my rears and sides ( I think the idea of two LR5's as rears and SR3's as sides is great although it will delay my purchase due to the high cost involved).

400 Watts (3BST) - Left Channel - LR5

400 Watts (3BST) - Right Channel - LR5

400 Watts (3BST) - Center Channel - CC5

120 Watts (5BST open Channel) - Rear Center Sorround (this just for the heck of it as I have the 120 watts available) - B&W HTM or CC3

250 Watts (4BST) - Left Side Sorround - (SR3 pending purchase)

250 Watts (4BST) - Right Side Sorround - (SR3 Pending Purchase)

400 Watts ( 8BST 4 channel 120 watts Bryston pending Purchase) - Rear Left LR5 Pending Purchase.

400 Watts ( 8BST 4 channel 120 watts Bryston pending Purchase) - Rear Right LR5 Pending Purchase.

This may take a while but I am getting closer.

Ash

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.