Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'ver been thinking :)...

Is anyone using or thought about using a high gain screen (>1.5) with a neutral density filter?

My HT is also my living room, so I have LOTS of windows (ambient light).

I've solved this problem by covering the windows with super commando black theater material from ceiling to floor and putting them on curtain runners so I can open & close them.

I would like to watch some shows (like football or cartoons) in the daytime. In my search for the most usable set up - both daytime and nighttime viewing - I was thinking about using a high gain screen and adjusting the light output with an NDF. I would use no NDF in the daytime and the pic would still be viewable; at night, I would use the NDF so viewers retnas wouldn't be burned ;).

I don't have the screen yet, but am looking at materials from Da-Lite and Stewert. The Da-Lite High Power (2.8 gain) looks excellent for this type of thing.

I also don't know what filter to get and am thinking I may need a different value depending upon how much light is in the room or future projector purchases. This led me down the path to try to find a variable netural density filter system. I have found such an animal at http://www.optosigma.com/OpticHolders/vndfltr.html . It needs a mount - something like http://www.newport.com/store/xq/ASP/...qx/product.htm

Has anyone tried this or thought about doing something like this?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No response...

OK. Anyone using Da-Lite High Power on model C with my type of projector?

I've been looking at the following samples of screen materials:

Stewert - StudioTech 130 & FireHawk

Draper - CV & CVHC

Da-Lite - High Power & HiContrast

I really don't understand why anyone would choose anything other than the Da-Lite High Power.

It is a very thick material which should reduce the possibility of wrinkles or waves.

It has the highest gain and does not fall off less than 1.0 off axis.

I feel that screen manufacturers haven't really gotten the high contrast thing worked out and I don't think it matters. My next projector will have better contrast and so will the next after that. Why buy a screen with a short life span?

You might say that 2.8 gain is too high. This same argument was presented re projectors - too many lumens. I disagree with both. I can control light from the projector (and hence the screen) with filters. It seems to me that as long as color and light uniformity are good, so is the screen.

I'm thinking constant height with a width of ~111". I cut the high power material in half and stuck it on the wall on each side and on top and bottom (kinda nice that Da-Lite sends samples with stickum on the top - non of the others did...). Colors and brightness appear excellent to me.

Am I missing something?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.