AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a product out there that would let me use a vintage receiver that has no subwoofer/lfe out with a sub that only has an LFE input? I may want to upgrade the sub in my near field setup one day but it seems common now days for subs to only have an RCA LFE input. Is there some kind of converter box that I could use?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb  /t/1523801/high-level-to-lfe-input#post_24517231

There are options like the following for car audio. Would this be a bad idea to use at home?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
You could, but there would be no high pass filtering of the mains, and relieving the mains of low frequency content is half the reason for having a sub. You need to use an electronic crossover inserted in the tape loop, returning the high frequency output to the tape return, sending the low frequency output to the sub. You'd then have to use the master volume on the crossover for simultaneous control of the mains/sub volume.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1523801/high-level-to-lfe-input#post_24517499

You could, but there would be no high pass filtering of the mains, and relieving the mains of low frequency content is half the reason for having a sub. You need to use an electronic crossover inserted in the tape loop, returning the high frequency output to the tape return, sending the low frequency output to the sub. You'd then have to use the master volume on the crossover for simultaneous control of the mains/sub volume.

I have no filtering of the lows on my mains right now and I'm fine with that. The sub is just there to fill in from about 60hz and lower. It's a near field setup that at 1 meter never exceeds 90 db anyway. I think the subwoofer I am using will be fine for years to come with this system, but I was just curious.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts