AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Bare with me, this is my first post and i'm novice. I'm trying to help my brother with his audio set up. He's going to have his main HT, then a seperate receiver for celing/background music speakers all over the house. He doesn't want to spend too much money on the receiver, but wants to have reasonable quality running to 18 speakers. I was planning on using a bunch of speaker switches to work this number of speakers. I've tried searching, but haven't found anything. what receiver (and/or setup) would be good to do this task?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thats a tall Order for one receiver to do. Surround Sound and 9 pairs of speakers WOW.

Get a receiver that can do multi Room( for the surround sound) and an amp with at least 18 channels ( for the rest of the house). you don't want to have the "B" channel do all of that. Thats like a lawm mower pulling a Tractor Trailer. Then a Volume control for each Pair of speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, it is gonna be two receivers. One for the HT and a seperate one for the 18 speakers. So I just need a receiver that can handle just those 18, preferbly one with A/B channels for bedroom/non-bedrooms. You mention and amp with 18 channels; where can I find one of these bad boys?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Rotel makes 6 channel amps that are designed for whole house audio. I think they run around $600 each...

You can't hook 18 speakers up to pretty much any amp - the impedance will be way off and the amp won't be able to handle it. You need to look into whole house distribution amps or a distribution panel. Check smarthome.com

Here is a distribution panel that can handle 16 speakers:
http://www.smarthome.com/8267.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
3-SIX Channel rotel amps should be able to power those rooms and not cost you an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What would be a better solution, the 3-six channel Rotel route or a middle of a road receiver with 2 or 3 distribution panels?

Also, where can I find this Rotel amp? I've searched on the web, but I'm not sure which model and which retailers are "trustworthy".

·
Registered
698 Posts
Try active speakers...

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Rotel does not allow online sales at all.

The current model is the RMB1066 (MSRP $700). An older model that you can pick up used (audiogon, ebay) is the Rotel RB-956AX. They should go for around $300.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The better solution is the amps. you want a ch. of amplification for each ch. driven. I Have heard a system with 5 rooms( 10 speakers) run off a 200WX2 amp, a speaker selector and volume controls. even with the multi room volume output( from his Pioneer) Pegged the sound was at best just barely loud enough to be heard over people talking. Also the amp was almost TOO HOT to be touched, NOT GOOD.

Again have a receiver for the HT and some sort of multi channel amp(s) powering the rest of the house.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
You won't need 3 six-channel amps. 2 will do the trick, or 1 twelve-channel distribution amp. Run 3 pairs of speakers on each pair of amp channels through a speaker selector box that has a "Protection," or impedance switch. Engaging the switch does degrade sound quality slightly while it protects your amp from overload, but it is a very effective solution for a whole house distribution system. At that, you'll only need to engage the protection switch if you are playing all 3 pairs at once.

Niles makes a very good speaker selector switch with effective protection circuitry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.