AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the better HP filter options out there for passive subs?

From what I've read the SMS-1 has a great HP filter. It allows you to set a HP filter as low as 5Hz, is adjustable in 1Hz increments, and several slopes to choose from. It's expensive though at ~$350-400 if all you need it for is the subsonic filter.

The miniDSP seems to fit the bill as well. The $125 price tag helps too!

Also, some folks have newer receivers that have dual sub outputs with the capability to set individual delays and trims. What's the best HP filter to get in that situation?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil /forum/post/20844629

From what I've read the SMS-1 has a great HP filter. It allows you to set a HP filter as low as 5Hz, is adjustable in 1Hz increments, and several slopes to choose from. It's expensive though at ~$350-400 if all you need it for is the subsonic filter.

Also, some folks have newer receivers that have dual sub outputs with the capability to set individual delays and trims. What's the best HP filter to get in that situation?

Another option.

eD's eQ.2: Variable from 5hz to 30hz. $100.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil /forum/post/20844629

I think you are mistaken. The HP filter is fixed at 80Hz and 6dB/octave. It is the LP filter for the sub(s) is adjustable as you describe.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
I think you are mistaken. The HP filter is fixed at 80Hz and 6dB/octave. It is the LP filter for the sub(s) is adjustable as you describe.
For which device? This is great as I have the same questions.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhack1639
The ED EQ2 does not have a high-pass output. It only outputs low-pass to a sub.
Not sure what you mean.

High Pass Filter (HPF) = Subsonic Filter

The eq.2 subsonic filter will suppress (aggressive rolloff) variable frequencies between 5 and 30hz; said a different way it will allow the sub to play variable frequencies from 5 to 30hz and above.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1
Another option.

eD's eQ.2: Variable from 5hz to 30hz. $100.
I forgot about that one. Nice.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The SMS-1 with the latest FW allows subsonic filter adjustment from 35hz down to 5hz with slopes from 6 to 48db/oct. The eq.2 has subsonic filters 30hz down to 5hz at 12db/octave and is only $100. Then there's the Reckhorn B-2.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
Are you sure that the SMS-1 has a fixed HP filter (subsonic filter) of 80Hz? That would mean that everything below 80Hz would be filtered out. Right?

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsi
Then there's the Reckhorn B-2.
I forgot about that one too. It's easy to forget these things when you aren't in need of the product at the time you learn of it.

Is there a US distributor for the Reckhorn?

·
Registered
73 Posts
My point was that it only sends a signal to the sub, there is no output to send to the other speakers/amps.

I'm interested / looking for something like the miniDSP or S1 for my 2.1 setup.

I'm considering this passive module, but I'm not sure if it'll meet the OP's needs.
http://store.hlabs.com/pk4/store.pl?view_product=25

Quote:
The ED EQ2 does not have a high-pass output. It only outputs low-pass to a sub.

·
Registered
9.8.4 = 13 CBT Line Arrays, 8 Sealed 18"s
13,750 Posts
I have a suspicion that my friend counsil may be posting this question on my behalf because I called him this evening and left a voicemail asking if he had some ideas in this very regard. counsil, if that is the case I thank you for the post. If you were asking for another purpose then my requirements very much align with your question and so I'll still poke my head into this thread!

I've been lightly researching this question for the last couple weeks.

My application is a couple of JTR Captivators configured at 2ohm on stereo 2ohm outs of a single Behringer EP4000 amp. The AVR is an Onkyo NR-1007 with dual sub output. I can configure my two sub outputs using Audyssey seperately for phase, distance, and EQ. I have sub1 output from the Onkyo going to channel 1 on the EP4000, and sub2 output from the Onkyo going to channel 2 on the EP4000. The Captivators can be configured to run at 15hz or 20hz depending on port plug configuration. I'm not worried about damaging the subs as JTR Speaker's owner Jeff told me I couldn't hurt the Captivator subwoofer driver with a single EP4000 in my current configuration...(these are 7,200 watt peak drivers, and my EP4000 is capable of driving about 800 watts each into the subs at 2ohm stereo load). Jeff did say that I may notice a bit cleanerer sound if I purchase a LPF to keep frequencies below the tuning point from being output by the sub. I don't notice any audible distortion now, but figure if I can find a LPF cheap enough --- why not give it a shot - I don't really know how the subs could sound better to me?? and maybe they won't following an addition of an LPF --- but it'll be interesting to find out if I can tell any difference... To fix something that isn't necessarily broken doesn't drive me to be spendy --- so I'm looking at fixes of around $100ish or so... I am very happy with the subs sound right now and so am not really looking for EQ, or phase control. My subs are just about equadistant from the seating position and Audyssey Multi EQ XT has done a fine job --- so really I'm just looking for a High Pass filter (aka low cut filter, aka rumble filter)

1)From my research the passive models like the FMOD or the aren't that great for precise applications because their actual high pass hz rating will rarely match the quoted hz number unless your input impedance on your amplifier is exactly the same input immpedance as the passive device is configured for (which isn't likely). For instance the popular parts express FMOD in line RCA modules are rated at 22,000 ohms, the input impedance of my Behringer EP4000 is 10,000 ohms. At 10,000 ohms the FMOD 20hz filter is actually a 25hz high pass filter -- that doesn't do me any good as I want very specifically either 19 or 20, or 14 or 15hz..
http://www.hlabs.com/technical/crossovers/page2.html

2)The Reckhorn B-2 looks to be exactly what I need but is nigh impossible to get here in the states. I can't even find one used having closed on ebay in the last few months. It is a dual channel, adjustable high pass filter -- made specifically for subwoofers, with 1 band eq, and gain matching/boost controls that work exactly like the samson s-convert which helps match consumer AVR gear (onkyo, yamaha, denon - receiver) to pro audio gear (pro amps like my Behringer). They are a german company and I can't even buy it from the uk's amazon site because they don't ship to America. There is some question yet to even determine if the power required is 230v rather than 120v??? There was supposedly a site called creative sounds in Canada that used to sell these Reckhorn b-2 units, but apparently they stopped carrying the line. Everything I've read on these is favorable, and this would be my first choice if I could locate one.

3)Next is Velodyne SMS-1 - looks good, has adjustable high pass filter, does amazing sub eq (I don't think I need), costs $350 dollars and really is only made for one sub (not two) so this one is out on both cost and sub count.

4)Next is Behringer MIC2200. I'm considering this one. It is made for vocal microphones and has an adjustable high pass filter, allows for two channels. It should really serve the purpose quite well having a specified fr range of as low as 2hz, yet it isn't intended for subwoofer duties --- soooo if I could find the reckhorn I'd prefer that route as the reckhorn is specifically designed to be exactly what I need.

5)minidsp -- their site is confusing for me, I dont' even really understand what product to order, what the stuff does, which each different (there are many) option does etc. If they want to sell to the average joe and not soley to music or electrical engineers they need to hire someone who can dumb down their tech speak to that which an average joe enthusiast can understand and feel comfortable with. Bosso or ricci may be able to buy something there and know what they are getting --- Archaea cannot...I've also read some complaints about their low hz cutoffs not being exactly what people thought they were getting...

6) Elemental Designs EQ.2 -- out of stock... and only made for one sub, otherwise great. Website is easy to understand, purpose is easy to understand, simple setup. Not really meeting my needs though because it is made for one sub and I have two subs and prefer a seperate signal going to each sub.

7) further suggestions? -- just skip the idea all together?

At this point it seems to me my best options are the Behringer Mic2200, or the Reckhorn B-2. Since the Reckhorn B-2 is pretty much impossible to obtain, then I'm likely looking at the mic2200 unless I'm missing something else entirely?

I don't claim to be an expert on any of these devices, If I've misrepresented a device it surely isn't intentional, but these are the capacities of these devices as I understand them.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
By the way...I read in another forum that VANNs will price the SMS-1 to $350 dollars if you use the request the best price link. They did it for me when I tried the link. It sells for nearly $500 most places, ($480 at vanns) if you request the best price from Vanns.com they'll currently send you an e-mail link for $350 that requires a quick purchase. I'm not sure how long that sale will run. The SMS-1 is a very cool device, I just don't think it is exactly what I need for my dual sub purposes. If it supported multiple devices, I might just go that route and be done with it and try to forget the fact it is the most expensive option I'm considering.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
Quote:
English:
http://www.reckhorn.net/pages/active-x-over.php
Well isn't that cool! I was looking for that, but couldn't find it! Thanks!! Any ideas how I could use a 230v device on our 120v US power interface ---and if such a convertor is avaialble am I going to introduce noise, inaccuracies etc by using a voltage convertor on a sensitive piece of electronics like this?

·
Registered
30,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil
Are you sure that the SMS-1 has a fixed HP filter (subsonic filter) of 80Hz? That would mean that everything below 80Hz would be filtered out. Right?
Ah. I was referring to the HP filter for the main channels, not the sub, and, apparently, others were referring to the HP filter that serves to cut off the bottom of the sub range. Of course, it is a HPF too but I tend to think of it as a sub-sonic filter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.