AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with Inline RCA form-factor high pass filters - like the FMOD Inline Crossovers from Harrison Labs? I want to keep deep bass frequencies from reaching the bookshelf/satellite main speakers.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Isn't that what the crossover in the AVR is for? Do you not use an AVR (receiver)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't that what the crossover in the AVR is for? Do you not use an AVR (receiver)?

I'm planning a NEW 2.1 system. It will NOT include an AVR.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I used those "bass filters" for years in my vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Inline RCA form-factor high pass filters - like the FMOD Inline Crossovers from Harrison Labs? I want to keep deep bass frequencies from reaching the bookshelf/satellite main speakers.
I have the PFMOD. It worked. I'm now using a high pass filter from HSU.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I think you will be better off with miniDSP...

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I'm planning a NEW 2.1 system. It will NOT include an AVR.
In that case the right way to do it is with a separate pre-amp and power amp, with an electronic crossover in between the two.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
In that case the right way to do it is with a separate pre-amp and power amp, with an electronic crossover in between the two.
+1,

The FMods are more for a quck and dirty solution with existing systems to get by--if you are at the design stage use a proper electronic crossover to allow for flexibility. Other options are using the filter in the sub amp coupled with DSP and XO filters for some professional amplifiers to do the same thing.

Another option is to use a multi-channel pre-pro and configure it for 2 channel plus subwoofers. Most of the 2-channel pre-amps are minimal devices so if you plan on subwoofers or expanding your system in the future, go for a multi-channel pre-pro to prevent any hassle in the future.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What made you switch to the HSU device?

I have the PFMOD. It worked. I'm now using a high pass filter from HSU.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Look for a used Paradigm X-30. Good quality, good sound, allows you to blend mains/sub seamlessly. Can connect two subs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The MiniDSP looks like a cool product.

With a MiniDSP in the mix in my 2.1 system playing a tune in a digital format, the signal path would be Digital Audio->DAC in the Pre-Amp->ADC in the MiniDSP->Digital Filtering->DAC in the MiniDSP->Power Amp->Bookshelf Speakers. Not feelin it for music...

As Mr. Fitzmaurice and 18Hurts point-out above, an active/electronic crossover is probably the best alternative. Thanks to ALL for the input...

Implement in a minidsp wouldn't be much more expensive and would be much preferred to an inline passive compnent

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-crossovers/subwoofer-integration-with-minidsp

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The MiniDSP looks like a cool product.

With a MiniDSP in the mix in my 2.1 system playing a tune in a digital format, the signal path would be Digital Audio->DAC in the Pre-Amp->ADC in the MiniDSP->Digital Filtering->DAC in the MiniDSP->Power Amp->Bookshelf Speakers. Not feelin it for music...

As Mr. Fitzmaurice and 18Hurts point-out, an active/electronic crossover is probably the best alternative.

I think you will be better off with miniDSP...

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think it is still preferable to passive filtering. However, I am 99.9% sure you can implement the crossover in the digital domain in mini dsp by skipping the initial ADC. I am not an expert on mini dsp but several variants have digital in.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
Not feelin it for music...
Good grief. No experience of actually doing it, let alone measuring the differences for the extra A/D right? I would put a big chunk of money on the fact you couldn't hear 3 A/D/A conversions in a row.

As Mr. Fitzmaurice and 18Hurts point-out, an active/electronic crossover is probably the best alternative.
It is.

I think it is still preferable to passive filtering. However, I am 99.9% sure you can implement the crossover in the digital domain in mini dsp by skipping the initial ADC. I am not an expert on mini dsp but several variants have digital in.
Yes. There is a small add on miniDIGI I/O board available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It worked with the Emo DC-1 as a preamp. I bought a Schiit Saga and everything sounded bad. Removed the PFMOD from the system and everything was fine. I have a Rythmik sub I wanted to use so I kept looking for a solution. Had my eye on the one from Outlaw for a while. Stumbled across the Hsu and it reminded me of a smaller version of the Outlaw. It works great.
I've updated my speakers from MMG's to Spatial Audio M4's. Been listening without the sub for about a week. I don't need the sub. I'd rather not have to use a sub or a crossover.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Less is more...Nice...

It worked with the Emo DC-1 as a preamp. I bought a Schiit Saga and everything sounded bad. Removed the PFMOD from the system and everything was fine. I have a Rythmik sub I wanted to use so I kept looking for a solution. Had my eye on the one from Outlaw for a while. Stumbled across the Hsu and it reminded me of a smaller version of the Outlaw. It works great.
I've updated my speakers from MMG's to Spatial Audio M4's. Been listening without the sub for about a week. I don't need the sub. I'd rather not have to use a sub or a crossover.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts