Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I just took delivery yesterday of an HLN467. I noticed that after a few seconds after the picture appears, a high pitched noise comes from the TV. It is not the fan because after shutting off the TV, this sound goes away a few seconds later. About 15 seconds later the fan finally shuts off. I have read some posts about the color wheel rotation making noise. I don't see too many complaints which makes me think that most people don't have this problem. I wish the only noise coming from the TV was the cooling fan! What do I do???

I have Firmware 302. Any suggestions??

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'd guess you're probably hearing the color wheel if you can tell it's not the fans. I remember from when I had an HLN617W that I could hear the color wheel spin up upon turning the TV on (I'd hear this basically instantly upon power-on, well before the picture appeared); it sounded almost identical to a hard drive spinning up in a computer. In my case, after it reached full speed it could no longer really be picked out over the fans but at the same time I'd be able to tell when it spun back down when turning the TV off. If you're having a high-pitched sound start only after the TV is already displaying, I'd say that's not normal myself. :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Describing the sound as "A Hard Drive Spinning UP" is a perfect description. Only in my case, it can be clearly heard as much louder than the fan. Actually my wife thought that the windows were open and we were hearing crickets. Very annoying. Will Samsung fix this?

·
Registered
345 Posts
The sound shouldn't be any louder than a PC, for example. If it is noticeable louder, then it is time for a service call. It appears to be the color wheel from what you are describing.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by digi
Will Samsung fix this?
They have fixed everything else. Why would you be the exception? ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
if it is high-pitched and sortof like an electronic "buzzing" sound it could be the lamp ballast. i had this happen on my gwii lcd projection and returned it because of the ballast making the high pitched buzzing noise.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Also sometimes tranformers make a high pitched sound if it's loose and can vibrate. On CRT based sets this would be worse if the image was very bright like all white. Just another option to think about.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to be clear about the noise, he is the sequence of sounds that the 467 makes as it starts up leading to the noise.

1] TV power on....very quiet cooling fan spins up

2] Several seconds later the quick "hard drive" spin-up sound. Is not audible after spin up.

3] After warm up picture appears

4] Several seconds after picture appears...the High Pitched sound kicks on and stays on. It doesn't spin up...it just comes on and stays. It is a different pitch than the "hard drive" spin up. It seems to gradually blend into the room...but I can still hear it. I don't think it should be there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The part is backordered. I am checking tomorrow to see what's up. The phone number is on the samsungusa.com site. I let you all know when something happens.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by digi
The part is backordered. I am checking tomorrow to see what's up. The phone number is on the samsungusa.com site. I let you all know when something happens.
Many of you here may recall the "high pitched whine" thread I started (and many joined into) when the powerbuy sets first shipped. The consensus in than thread was the color wheel and Samsung first tried to install a new light engine. No luck. It took nearly 8 weeks before they completely replaced the set - and then blissfull quietness. Some other people (Bri) had similar problems.

PM me if you want more nitty gritty. I can't find the original thread now - maybe its finally expired...

While I was annoyed to have the problem with my original set, and somewhat annoyed by the time it took to FIND me a replacement (they agreed pretty quickly to replace it - but there simply weren't any in the US at that time to replace it with!), I actually had a pleasant experience with Samsung support and found them to be quite responsive.

Jonathan

·
Registered
963 Posts
From what I can tell, ALL DLP sets will make a hard drive type sound (my 437 has since the day it was purchased almost a year ago, and even owners of the Panasonic DLP reported this phenomenon), but it should be no louder than a computer.

If it is much louder, then it needs service.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.