AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of a movie the other night (no more than 1.5 hrs of viewing), my ceiling-mounted LT 150 developed a continuous high-pitch noise. I did the only thing I knew to do, which was to turn it off. While off, with the fan(s) continuing, the noise persisted, and was finally silent when the fan(s) stopped. I assumed it was fan-related. Out of paranoia, I also hand-fanned the pj while it was cooling itself.

The noise did not return upon turning the pj back on that night, and I had no problem with the pj last night, although viewing last night was less than 30 minutes. Up to now, I've had no problem with it; I have used about 400+ hrs of the original bulb.

Anyone else experienced this problem? Any thought as to what the cause & remedy could be? As of now, I don't intend to send it back to NEC (still under warranty) unless it recurs; is this a good idea or am I waiting for a real disaster to happen?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cmdang
Out of paranoia, I also hand-fanned the pj while it was cooling itself.

:D Are we all sick or what?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have heard a few odd noises from my LT-150 on occasion but they always leave as quickly and miraculously as they arrive.

I also sometimes turn on the PJ and get an oddly washed out, almost gray image. If I shut it off and restart it usually goes away.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. Except, the noise returned every time I switched on the projector ...

I called NEC customer service and they gracefully sent me a refurb LT150 with about 150 hours on it. They sent it overnight with return shipment label for the noisy one. Great customer service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My NEC LT150 developed this high pitched fan sound also. I had to send it in to have the fan replaced. Others have reported the same problem. I wanted to keep my same unit so sent it in for repair under warranty. Great service by NEC.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
This is a common problem with the LT150. Some of the earlier units had underpowered fans that would become damaged under heat stress after a while. Newer units and refurbs usually come with bigger fans. I've had to send in two units for this - and the third is currently doing fine (larger fans).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, folks. One thing for sure, one never feels alone here.

Maybe I should send it in now for fan replacement. Larger fan sounds good, but how about the noise?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.