AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past couple of weeks I have noticed a high pitch whine coming out of my home theater. I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions on how to stop it or fix it.

I have a:

Mits 55807

Mits HD Receiver

6000 HD Receiver

DirecTivo

Denon 3300 receiver

Front speakers to the left and right of the TV

center speaker on top of TV

All equipment has been in place for about a year and a half except the 6000 - that's been there for about 6 weeks. That MAY be about the time that I first noticed the whine. It doesn't always whine, just occasionally.

Any ideas??:confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's probably the hard drive(s) in your DirecTiVo. Try unplugging the DirecTiVo and see if the whine stops. The whine in my SA TiVo's drive was so annoying that I replaced it with 2 Seagate 80G Barracudas. And just for good measure, I replaced the fan as well in case it decided to go off its bearings and start making some noise. Now it's whisper quiet :)

RR

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It COULD be the TIVO, but I've never noticed the whine when my Denon receiver is off - it's mainly when I have a couple of things on. The TIVO gives me a hum that I hear most of the time (fan most likely).

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
From the title, I knew you had a Denon AVR-3300 before I even opened this thread. ;)

There was a problem with the fan on the AVR-3300 (only model that ever used this particular design) which caused it to whine, and there's a fix kit for it. I'm guessing you're out of warranty by now, but if you call Denon in NJ and talk to the tech support department they can give you instructions on how to obtain the kit and where to take it from there, or they might ask you to send it to them. This would be your best bet as they have the familiarity and experience to deal with this problem better than most field repair facilities.

Shouldn't be too expensive, good luck.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I had the 3300, and had the problem that bigwally describes. As he says the fan is most likely the culprit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had the same problem. traced it to my three kids whenever I put on a movie that Mommy said they couldn't watch so they had to leave..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
starscomeout,

Do you remember where you had to send it? NJ??

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi mknoebel,

I purchased my 3300 from Uncle's Stereo and they had me ship it back to them and they sent me a new one. They are an unauthorized Denon dealer, so if there are any problems with a unit then they just have you ship the product back to them and they either replace it, or have it repaired.

Don

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I don't know if this helps but when I first noticed the problem on mine it was already out of warranty. I did some research and by the time I had all the info the whine had gone away. I told myself I'd get it fixed if it came back but I haven't heard it whine in about a year and a half now.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bigwally,

Thanks. It doesn't "whine" all the time. So if there is a chance that it goes away (like yours) I may see if I can wait it out and maybe it will go away (mine is out of warenty also).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem. The fan in the AVR-3300 had a variable speed fan which adjusted the fan speed dependant upon temperature. When mine kicked on it would ramp up to speed and then continue to whine at high-speed. My receiver was also out of warranty, but the dealer sent it in and Denon upgraded the circuit without charge. I've also seen the actual repair notes when performing a search on the internet. If your dealer won't send your unit in for the upgrade, you might try looking on the net for the upgrade instructions. It required component changes and IC pin jumpering, so you should be handy with a soldering iron. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kfalls,

Thanks. I would guess that it whines about every 3rd day or so, and usually after it's been on a while. I was going to take it in, but I might look for the instructions that you mentioned. If anyone has a link, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I also had a high pitched whine....................................................... ..............until I told my wife to stop bawling about all the money I had spent on the theater!:p

Darren

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.