AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a manual screen for my new HC4000. In my room there's some ambient light but most of the time I watch movies at night anyway. I like bright pictures, but I don't want a 100" HP screen burning my eye brows. Anyways, my question is: What an HP screen does do black levels? Make them grey? or do they stay the same?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
There are about 2000 threads about HP screen and black level. But to answer your question, the current 2.4 HP does a fare job of maintaining black levels. However it will magnify by 2.4 any light output from your projector .. so black will be less black on an HP than on a 1.1 gain screen.

Your projector does not have lens shift. If you are going to mount it on a table in front of your seating then and HP will be good for you. If you plan on ceiling mounting this projector, you do not want an HP screen.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
'Perceived' black levels, when viewing for a few minutes on a HP will be pretty good, as you are not just raising the gain of the blacks, but the whites as well. Some people like 'em, and some people don't (for critical movie watching). Get a screen sample from DaLite and see what happens to your perception

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip023 /forum/post/20770255

I'm sorry I'll go search for them now. Appreciate the input

The main HP thread has lots of talk about black level, keep in mind most of this thread is about the original 2.8 gain screen. The 2.4 is a bit different but the over all concept and properties are the same.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773065

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.