AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick note. My Da-Lite High Power screen arrived today and was up in about an hour. I turned on my LT150 in the middle of the afternoon and I may have to get stitches from the cuts sustained when my jaw hit the floor http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Stay tuned. Pictures in the next day or so...

------------------

Tom L.

My stuff, LT150, HTPC, and screen tests

·
Registered
855 Posts
Tom - thanks for all the pictures you have posted previously.

I am curious how the Hi-Power would work with other projectors. Is it a versatile enough screen that a wide variety of projectors would benefit from?

Or it restricted more to projectors with contrast ratios > than 700:1?

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Tom:

looks good! Just a couple questions-

-are you going to let it hang loose at the bottom or are you planning to try to tack or weight it there also

-counting the 1x8 how far is this stick out from the wall

-how heavy is this.

-any plans to use felt or another meathod to mask the perimeters?

tia

·
Registered
915 Posts
I was just doing a search for info about the High Power, and came across a distributor site in the U.K. that said, "note: The High Power is not recommended for fixed projector installations, as the light will be reflected back to the projector instead of the audience".

Any comments about this? I get the point - if the projector's sight line is the same as the audiences (if it were on a table with the audience around it), then the light reflecting back to the projector will be coming straight at the audience. But with the projector on the ceiling, and only a 25% angle of view, might the front row of seats see a dimmer image than, say, the back row up on the raised platform?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ckolchak:[*]I'll probably just let it hang. It seems very flat right now with no wrinkles.[*] I'll have to measure it later tonight but I'm guessing an inch to an inch and a half out from the wall.[*]The screen probably weighs 15-20 pounds. Just a guess.[*]Yes, I will be masking the sides and will try to come up with some sort of floating mask for the top and bottom.

dhanson:

It's definitely brighter the more you're in line with the projector. I did do a simulated ceiling mount in my screen test and even with the projector several feet above eye level, the high power still showed increased brightness.

[email protected]:

Da-Lite says it's glass beaded but they're some sort of micro beads embedded into the surface so it's not as fragile as their Glass-Beaded screen, e.g, you can clean it. Follow this link for a white paper on how it's done.

Mine must have just left the factory because it smelled like model airplane glue when I unrolled it (the smell filled my basement). Watching Austin Powers while sniffing my screen was shagadelic baby! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Tom L.

[This message has been edited by tlastrange (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I've been using the high power for some time now and it's a great screen. But as other's have mentioned it provides a pretty narrow vertical viewing angle. And the center of that angle is back to the projector. If you want to see how it will perform if you ceiling mount your projector just throw an image with your projector table mounted. Then climb a stepladder while you're looking at the screen. As

you go up the ladder the image will start to get dimmer. When you have your head close to the ceiling you'll be simulating what you would see if the projector was at the ceiling while you were seated.

For CRT owners like me it's not very suitable for ceiling mount because we don't have much light output to start with and we would lose the benefit of it's 2.8 gain reflectivity. You can lose this when using a higher output digital projector and still see a fairly bright image. But you won't be taking advantage of the screen's capability when you do so.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I guess the other drawback of the high power is uniformity. How is the brightness across the screen? Is it noticably brighter in the middle as opposed to the top/bottom/sides?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonmx:
I guess the other drawback of the high power is uniformity. How is the brightness across the screen? Is it noticably brighter in the middle as opposed to the top/bottom/sides?
Follow the screen test link in my signature. I have a sequence of pictures starting in the center of the screen and moving one foot to the left until I was 6 feet from the center. Effectively simulating being on one end of a 12 foot couch.

------------------

Tom L.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK folks, the new screen test pictures are up. I'm running my LT150 with my Radeon powered HTPC through the ATI 4.1 player.

I pulled my Da-Lite high power screen down half way and taped up the other samples below it. Even though some of the photos are impressive, they really can't compare to seeing it in person.

Hope you find the pictures useful.
http://www.lastrange.com/ht/screen.shtml#part2

------------------

Tom L.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Tom, are the jaggies I'm seeing present in the projected image or just a result of the resolution of your digital camera? For example: The round globe around the Toy Story dinosaur's head.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The camera is inserting the jaggies. The projected images are smooth as a baby's bottom.

------------------

Tom L.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.