Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like some opinions on which would the better match for my NEC HT1000? I already own the Fire-hawk, but because of some very good reviews about the High Power, I'm thinking of changing screen material. I know how great the black levels are on the Stewart, but I love a bright screen, and that is why I'm thinking of change. Does anyone have the NEC matched with the High Power? If so, any observations will be appreciated..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Firehawk is an excellent screen. It really adds to the black levels without compromising on the brightness. The thing with my situation is that I would rather have my projector used from the table position. To get the most out of the Firehawk the projector should be ceiling mounted otherwise you will lose some brightness. I'm hoping that the High Power will be a perfect match when placing the projector on a table. I just hope that I won't be disappointed with the black level because I'm spoiled using my Firehawk. I would be very happy with the increased brightness level..

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
My fear with highpower and a table mounted projector would be that their would be too much gain.
They should package the HI-Power screen with some of that SPF 30 sunscreen :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was being facetious in my lost post on this thread as it seemed everyone was switching. Seriously, the High POwer is the best screen for the money. I've seen the Firehawk and it is good, but not worth the bucks in my opinion. I have a ceiling mount X1 and the High POwer is an excellent choice with this projector. The Firehawk is good too, but not for the price difference.

·
Registered
185 Posts
ChaCha,

I saw the High Power at Mandarax's shootout and it was quite impressive. I'm wondering how far back you sit and the size of the picture you're projecting and how important you find the 30 degree viewing cone to be.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
What's the approximate cost delta between High Power and Firehawk for say a 100" screen. I'm looking at getting a Panasonic 300U and would be ceiling mounting it, and these 2 screens seem to be the best choices.

John

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaCha
I was being facetious in my lost post on this thread as it seemed everyone was switching. Seriously, the High POwer is the best screen for the money. I've seen the Firehawk and it is good, but not worth the bucks in my opinion. I have a ceiling mount X1 and the High POwer is an excellent choice with this projector. The Firehawk is good too, but not for the price difference.

·
Registered
885 Posts
IMHO, the Highpower may be the 'best looking' screen if you have one or two people watching, and have a narrow angle from your eye to the screen to the projector lens. Otherwise, I would stick with the Firehawk or even a standard white screen.

JCG: I think the Firehawk is about 25% more for the raw material, but the gap probably widens considerably if you want to buy a finished screen (I am into the DIY thing).

·
Registered
82 Posts
well, I think I am in the minority here, given how everyone loves the

Firehawk thing BUT: the HT1000 is a relatively short throw projector

as is my TW100. I just completed framing my firehawk material and

set it up against the wall. BAD hotspotting, completely unwatchable

in my not so humble opinion. The projector is 2x screen width away.

(lens to screen distance, zoom at end of range to give smallest size picture). Projector is shelf mounted about 25" above my head.

I am about to rip out the Firehawk thing and toss it.

Really, I don't like it at all. I have a hipower now and thought

it was too bright (believe it or not) but ZERO hotspot. None on a white wall

either. Ah well live and learn.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hi guys, I've got a HS10 with CC40R filter. i want to get a 133" diagonal 16:9 screen... Do you think the HS10 w filter will have enough ooomph on a Da-Lite HCMW, or would you recommend the Hi-power...

Note: The projector will be table mounted...

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
mhench,

are you running in eco mode and with the iris shut?

Gary.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Lightfoot
mhench,

are you running in eco mode and with the iris shut?

Gary.
I have a TW100, no ECO, no iris. I was just comparing the throw distances

short is bad for reflective screens and I figure that is my problem with

the Firehawk.

As for too bright, the TW100 is a bright projector. 650 real no fudged

lumens. My screens is also rather small 64 X 36.

I am looking at ~100 ft-lamberts right now.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
"I have a TW100"

yeah, sorry, missed that bit in your post..

Gary.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys, I've got a HS10 with CC40R filter. i want to get a 133" diagonal 16:9 screen... Do you think the HS10 w filter will have enough ooomph on a Da-Lite HCMW, or would you recommend the Hi-power...

Note: The projector will be table mounted...
I just ran some lumens numbers on my CC40R-ed HS10 with a 10' wide screen this weekend. I think it'll need to be the High Power for me to get into the low to mid teens, ftL-wise. Of course, I'm ceiling mounted so I'm using about 2.0 gain factor instead of 2.8-3.0 as you'd get table-mounted.

I did look at the image on a flat white wall at that width, and damn, is it impressive, even with the lower light output:cool:

If you have lumens numbers on your PJ and want to compare, PM me...

·
Registered
689 Posts
I don't have lumens numbers... but I just thought of an interesting thing to consider... and that is the bulb gets dimmer with age... so maybe HiPower is the way to go........

·
Registered
617 Posts
I thought I read the bulb on the hs10 doesn't dim until the very very end. only read that once though...

I hope it's true!

rob

·
Registered
502 Posts
To my eyes the HighPower is the ultimate, however your setup and preferences may dictate otherwise. I watch a lot of satellite tv (>75%) and it delivers the best picture I've seen. I also have total light control so when I watch movies they bloom to life -- the colors are rich and vibrant and the blacks are good. For somebody who watches exclusively movies, they might want deeper blacks. I did a lot of comparison shopping (including the Firehawk, Greyhawk, Drpaer, other Dalite screens)....I've seen 'em all. I personally like a bright colorful picture that makes it seem like I'm watching a giant plasma tv, so the high power was for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.