AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much debate this time last year I finally decided on the 711 and am very happy with its performance so far projecting against a cream colored wall in my basement. It isn't great rejecting ambient light but I can control light in the room so that is OK. Now it is time to move and I need to purchase a pull down screen.

I'll be moving my HT to a 15' by 15' room. The projector will most likely be towards the back of the room (14 feet back) on an AV Stand about 4 feet high. Seating will be in an L (imagine the projector behind the bottom leg of the "L") at normal counch level. I'm thinking about going with the Model B covered in High Power material. My questions are:

What is the best way to get a sample of the High Power material?

If the gain is too high how much would a filter cost? Do they require any skill to use or are they simple to slip on and made to fit each projector?

Lastly for anyone who wants to offer advice, would you be concerned about the brightness and the different viewing angles based on the projector, dimensions and mounting? I'm worried that it will be difficult to please both the viewers looking straight on and those to the side.

Thanks everyone for indulging another High Power thread. Polite references to other threads will also be appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a Panny 711UX and a Da-lite Snap on High Contrast Da-mat screen I bought from Jason at AVS, and it works excellent. 80x60 so 100" diag, and I get that at about 11 feet away in my small room, zoomed out all the way.

I am moving and plan to go bigger and motorized, so contact me if you are interested, otherwise talk to Jason here at AVS... his recommendations for this projector were awesome. The screen made a huge difference, and the grey helped the contrast level and black detail of the panasonic.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I'm receiving samples from Da-Lite this week. If I am satisfied with the High Power sample I will probably go with it and contact Jason at AVS. Your screen sounds like it would have also been a great alternative but I need a pull down and if I read your post correctly yours isn't pull down.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Brando2,

I have posted some ambient light viewing condition photos with a filter present on a 711 here: High Power and 711XU photos

One option for a filter is a "Hoya HMC 72mm FL-D". Cost is around $34.50. Installation is like threading a nut onto a bolt and takes no more than a few seconds.

IMO, this is a great way to achieve great contrast and more reasonable white balance levels with a table mount 711 and high power screen.

As for other threads, just do a search using the utility. There are many many threads and a wealth of information available from several enthusiasts.

Good luck with your screen selection.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Brando,

I've got an 711xu with a Dalite Model B w/CSR 69"x92" HCMW. I was using a grey painted wall prior. I am very happy.

High Contrast Matte White.

Designed for moderate output DLP and LCD projectors, this screen surface is a great choice when video images are the main source of information being projected and where ambient light is moderately controlled. With its specially designed gray base material and reflective top surface, this screen material is able to provide very good black levels without sacrificing the white level output.

First question is why are you going all the way to a high power? The 711 cranks out a bunch of light. I have mine on low power and it still lights up the room. The HCMW, with a 1.1 gain, will still add more punch than your painted wall, but not "blind" you with the 2.8 gain of the High Power. The HCMW also has more contrast than the High Power, so it'll help get the blacks up on the 711.

I have a similar room layout with an "L" of reclining couches. I've sat in all seats and the picture is great. Again, you may want to look at the HCMV vs the High Power. The HCMV has viewing angle of 45' vs High Powers of 25'.

On the filters, you can screw any 72mm photo filter lens on. Again, I think you will be better suited to get a screen with less gain, but if you still need to cut the brightness, you may want to get an FL-D filter [ http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=711 ]. You'll not only cut a little of the light, but gain more contrast.

Good luck

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stevo,

Thanks for the filter info. I've read a few of your posts and they have me considering the high power more than ever.

Java,

I agree with the concerns you raised about viewing angle and brightness. I am also considering the HCMW and it would be my second choice as of today.

As far as viewing angle goes, I'm getting samples in the mail of both materials this week. How well they will assist me in my decision I don't know. I'd like the higher viewing angle but I've read numerous reviews on this site that say that the picture variation is tolerable from many angles with the high power. I trust when many on this site say that they haven't had a problem with the high power. It was excellent reviews that lead me to the 711 and I haven't regretted my choice once. Sure the specs can lead you many different ways but no material is perfect and I place great value on personal recommendations from this site.

I also understand that the picture may be too bright but I hope the high power will allow me to do something I was never able to do with my painted wall - allow ambient light in the room and set the projector in a lower power mode. Maybe I won't take advantage of this feature as I usually just watch movies and have total light control, but the option is nice. If it is too bright I can always add a filter. I've also found I love bright vivid colors and will sacrifice black level to acheive it.

But the biggest reason I'm going with high power is the elimination of waves in the fabric. I would hate to have to deal with them after never having that problem projecting on just my wall. If it weren't for this factor I wouldn't have a preference right now between the two materials. Thanks for your input, I agree with everything you had to say and the decision will be a tough one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.