AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on the screen forum and no answers so posting with the real dudes.

Looking at a high gain screen for my 1292. It sits on the floor about 120 back so its a standard 12 -13 degree angle. My room is very narrow so my seating is almost all on axis. I have a medium to fair light situation. All the problems are daylight and not much I can do about that.

The screen gain calc say 1.8 , so am I better off with the HP than a Elite?

Help? Any CRT guys with a Da light HP? or an Elite?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Hello

I do not own a Highpower but have seen one with a low mounted projector, and was impressed with the gain and absence of pearl look or color shift.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I caoonot comment on the Elite screen, but I love the Da-lite HP that I use with my G70, the G70 is about 120" back and is above eyelevel by about 1' the screen has no visible texture and the brightness is astounding. I'll suggest you get some samples from Da-lite and evaluate the gain.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I really hate to be the bad guy here, but I do think I should mention I bought and very briefly tested a Model B High Power with my G70, which is about a foot above my head. The result was very disappointing to me; I just leaned over a bit or twisted my head and got what seemed to me like massive color shift. I put up a white field and had my wife try it out to see if it was just me, and she decided she hated it. I never showed a real image; only test patterns and white fields, which probably explains why it bothered me so much. Real program material would be more forgiving, but once you know a problem exists it's hard not to let it bother you. I replaced it with a Carada Brilliant White; much lower gain but much less color shift.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Chad you're right about the color shift. I almost didn't get my screen after I saw the color shift on sample pieces, but for video content the color shift really doesn't bother me and I don't even see it unless I'm looking for it. All in all I think the awesome gain more than makes up for the color shift. But ymmv

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the answers

Does anyone think the shift is less with the floor mount vs the ceiling?

·
Registered
639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 /forum/post/15600726

Does anyone think the shift is less with the floor mount vs the ceiling?

I think the color shift will only change with the angle, remember though that the color shift is uniform so the entire screen will shift at once, this makes it less objectable to me as the entire screen is still the same color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts