AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many here probably looks askance at the 46" Sceptre since it is so low cost and is not 120 hz. Costco sold a ton at sub $7 bills.

Anyways, I've had a good bit of experience with the fabulous 52" Samung 650. Hooked up to a PC using VGA, it was really pixel perfect at 1080p. Blue ray, fabulous also. Worth the $ for those with the means.

Well, the Sceptre looks every bit as pixel perfect when put in VGA PC mode. Albeit, the color may not match the Samsung's saturation and glossy screen but not comparing side by side, it's excellent. This is where Sceptre really excelled as a PC monitor. It took in EVERY SINGLE resolution I could throw at it via the VGA PC port. Our laptop has over a dozen output resolution I think I tried close to 10 including some oddball resolution from 800X600 to 1920 by 1080.

For example, I set it at 1280 by 768 which is a standard resolution. Then I switched it to 1280 to 720 which is not. No matter what resolution I set, it would auto detect, adjust for a couple seconds, and then display the crispest edge to edge display. 1080p was every bit as sharp as the Samsung. VERY remarkable screen for PC usage.

Photos that I edited that I KNOW very well displayed beautifully and with the right color just like the Samsung.

The Samsung would not recognize most of the resolutions but only a select few. Same with Vizio XVT which will accept only 4 resolution. Toshiba I believe doesn't do 1080p via VGA.

In short, the Sceptre is incredibly good at scaling as a computer monitor and has been rock solid.

Incidentally, I called Sceptre and asked about using it as a computer monitor and the tech at the other end chuckled and said Sceptre has been a PC monitor manufacturer for 30 years and took their monitor expertise and put it into the 46". He said it is particularly good as a computer monitor. I thought that was just a sales pitch but I'd vouch for the veracity of his words.

Hope this helps someone who may need a huge PC monitor.

Note I've not tested this with Bluray to make any comments.

UL

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One final post unless anyone have questions. I put 1920 x 1200, 1920 x 1440 and 2048 by 1536. This Sceptre took them all, and digested them properly to display the computer input perfectly. Really quite remarkable as I am not aware of any other LCD TV that can come close in this capability.

UL

·
Registered
20 Posts
I returned mine the next day upon receiving after 2 dead/stuck pixels (one red one right smack dead center), dead HDMI port, intense buzzing. The finish was also Insignia-cheap. Redeeming was Costco's return policy, they weren't kidding about no-questions asked other than "cash or store-credit?".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts