AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to capture some high quality video onto a PC (preferably a high end notebook computer) for later playback to a 1080P Display (with 1080P HDMI/DVI input). I would like to get a couple of notches better in quality than WMV-HD.


I want to avoid any re-compression of the data so that I can get the highest quality video possible.


I'm currently looking at a Sager 9880 with a Nvidia Quadro FX Go1400 as the laptop (any comments on this computer or other recommendation)? The plan it to drive an external display with the DVI output of the notebook.


Several concerns are:


1. The best way to capture 1080i video onto the PC.

2. The best (reasonable) way to get the 1080i converted to 1080P.

3. Will the PC/Quadro FX Go1400 be able to do a good job of decompressing the video?

4. Is there anything else that would help including an external scaling/filtering box?

5. I would like it to be portable (defined as fitting into an airline carry on with wheels).

6. Audio performance is not critical (but would be nice).


Any help would be appreciated,


ddisplay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,319 Posts
Capping 1080i is not possible on the consumer scale. Your best option is to get some form of HD tuner card (possibly the sesam USB2), which will save the .ts stream direct as it is broadcast.


As for upscaling, you can set that up during playback in a number of different ways


Sagers are nice laptops, but a little pricey. Another option is the Dell I9300. Playback 1080i .ts streams as well as 1080p wmvhd files and the PQ is quite good. fwiw, I have the x300 gfx card, but you can get a 6800 Go gfx card on it. It also has spdif out.


-Suntan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddisplay
I'm looking to capture some high quality video onto a PC (preferably a high end notebook computer) for later playback to a 1080P Display (with 1080P HDMI/DVI input). I would like to get a couple of notches better in quality than WMV-HD.


I want to avoid any re-compression of the data so that I can get the highest quality video possible.
Then you're going to need an HD-SDI capture card. HD Component->HD SDI Converter (unless your source is HD-SDI). Then you'll need a fast RAID-0 array to handle the massive bandwidth of HD. Figure about $5000 total investment and figure for 50-600GB/hour storage requirements.

Quote:
Several concerns are:


1. The best way to capture 1080i video onto the PC.
There is no "good way", and AFIAK, no way period on a laptop, the bandwidth and storage requirements are way to high for a single laptop drive. Heck, they're too high for most single drives.

Quote:
2. The best (reasonable) way to get the 1080i converted to 1080P.
Cheapest? Probably a Geforce 7800, it's about the only think south of a Realta or Genum scaler that does real, pixel adaptive 1080i deinterlacing.

Quote:
3. Will the PC/Quadro FX Go1400 be able to do a good job of decompressing the video?
Don't know the specs for sure, but unless you're talking MPEG 2, or possibly WMV 9, it probably won't do anything (might not with WMV9 anyway). And I don't know how you're planning on capturing to MPEG2 or VC9 anyway, I'm not aware of anything south of a $20000 LSI system that can do either in realtime.

Quote:
4. Is there anything else that would help including an external scaling/filtering box?

5. I would like it to be portable (defined as fitting into an airline carry on with wheels).
Good luck.


Oh, and by the way, where do you expect to get, virgin, uncompressed HD to record anyway?
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top