AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of some high quality music to audition speakers with...

Something like these -

This has a great bass and trumpet/flugelhorn(?) - but the horn playing has too much "forced air" sound:

This has a great "plucking" sound:

Anything like these in high quality?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pick out some music you personally like, be it cd, phono or files. :):)
Right... :D

But, I also like music like the two above - but they are not very high quality and are on YouTube, etc.

So was wondering if anyone knew of any high quality music somewhat like the two above...

Or if anyone had any music they liked to audition speakers with.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Try the Gettysburg sound track. Or the Best of 3 Dog Night. Joni Mitchell, Carlos Santana.... I only listen to music for my soul and heart. I do not analyze it for entertainment.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Right... :D

But, I also like music like the two above - but they are not very high quality and are on YouTube, etc.

So was wondering if anyone knew of any high quality music somewhat like the two above...

The best music to audition speakers will always be what you would listen to in your environment. Take along some music you know very well for various auditions.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I guess I'll ask it another way...lol :)

Anyone know of any music that sounds like the two YouTube videos I posted?

:confused:

·
Registered
867 Posts
I prefer to use songs and artists I'm very familiar with. For example I love Frank Sinatra, Annie Lennox and Diana Krall so I use several of my most favorite songs by these artists. I also use songs by Rare Earth, Led Zep, Joe Bonamassa, BB King and several others.

I try to limit my audition songs to 10. IMO listening to more than that gets confusing. I'll listen to the same tracks, on a usb in lossless and one in mp3 format if necessary, over and over rather than listening to 30 songs.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Usually it's going to be a studio recording that will give you your wish. Full Dynamic Range...
No compression.
High Resolution digital files.
You're looking for something that was recorded well.

Here's a few I like very much and use as my reference, especially after runnung room correction...
wife says "but why do you play the same songs over and over?"

This is a mix of some old recordings and some new...
Hugh Masekela-album- Hope
Mark Knopfler-album-A Ragpicker's Dream-whole album is good- I like song "You Don't Know You're born"
Matchbox Twenty-album-Yourself Or Someone Like You- Try songs "Back 2 Good" and "Hang"
Drake- song "Controlla"
Billy Gibbons And The BFG's song "Sal Y Pimiento"
Ed Sheeran-song "Shap Of You"
M.J. song "Human Nature"
Harry Nilsson- song "Coconut":D
Dire Straits- song "So Far Away"
Bob Dylan- song "Death Is Not The End"
Devo- song "Whip It":D
If you like just one or two...life is good.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I use ...

Acoustic: Doobie Brothers - Steamer Lane Breakdown (Remastered 2016)
Electronic: Cualli - Tiger Prowl (from The Monk of Chunk)
Rock: Tool - Schism (from Lateralus)
Vocals: Heart - Dream of the Archer
Deepest synth bass: Tryptich - Tonka (from Tonked)

Sorry, I don't listen to horns.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Many speaker manufacturers make demo discs that they use to show off their equipment at trade shows. They bring these discs with them and give them away. Also, a lot of the independent record labels have sample discs that are well recorded with high dynamic range and wide frequency use.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
I prefer to use songs and artists I'm very familiar with.
This.

I would also tend to focus on the GENRES of music that I mostly listen to.

For example, if all I listened to was heavy metal and hard rock, it would be silly to use John Coltrane or Mozart as test material.

If you really do have eclectic tastes and listen to a wide variety of genres, then this would be a good choice:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dem...ie=UTF8&qid=1518110451&sr=1-1&keywords=chesky

·
Registered
867 Posts
This.

I would also tend to focus on the GENRES of music that I mostly listen to.

For example, if all I listened to was heavy metal and hard rock, it would be silly to use John Coltrane or Mozart as test material.

If you really do have eclectic tastes and listen to a wide variety of genres, then this would be a good choice:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dem...ie=UTF8&qid=1518110451&sr=1-1&keywords=chesky
Wow, it appears to be as much a tutorial for how to listen, what to hear, etc. than just a demo cd.
I may buy it just for what I may learn...learning is forever and those that say there is no more to learn have failed...
Thanks Zorba...great info

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
That's my go to CD. Killer bass guitar and kick drum sounds.

A good store selling high end speakers should have Blue Sound Node 2 and stream hi res Tidal. Otherwise, bring your own CD's.

Look at recent Grammy winners in best engineered categories (pop, classical etc).

Look at Bob Katz Honor Roll (www.digido.com).

Read Bob Katz's blog on innerfidelity.com He waxes poetic about tracks he uses.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/category/katzs-corner

As far as the two tracks you posted, the first one sounds like a lot of Chris Botti material. Smooth jazz is the genre, lots of artists like Rick Braun, David Sanborn, Euge Groove, Fourplay, Boney James, Sade, Boz Scaggs.

The second example is classical music. Go for the Grammy winner, best engineered classical. Every year there are several nominees and a winner. All good recordings.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
I found at Axpona 2016 that almost no one anymore could play the CDs I brought so for 2017 I just took a USB flash drive with my top ten. Although by mid day Saturday I was carrying around 30 - 40 pounds of LPs I bought down in the 'marketplace' on the 1st floor, I didn't feel comfortable with anyone else handling the LPs, although almost every room had vinyl playback so flash drive it was or have them look it up on Tidal.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You can always download some Hi-rez tracks. I use a laptop as my source with an inexpensive DAC

Here is link to some pretty good source sites, some offering free samples.

http://www.findhdmusic.com/high-res-audio/free-music/

The Arneson Magnifitat on the 2L the Nordic Sound link is hauntingly beautiful in hi rez. and the organ is subtle but digs fairly deep. The Arnesen is also available on Bluray with 9.1 Auro 3d; 5.1 surround and stereo files.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
OK, I guess I'll ask it another way...lol :)

Anyone know of any music that sounds like the two YouTube videos I posted?

:confused:
Get some Chris Botti or Miles Davis for horn.
That first video sounds like someone that does NOT know how to blow a horn!

The second video, the electronic stuff, is ok, but if you really want to know if your set up is reproducing all sound correctly you have to audition music with acoustic and "real" instruments. Pianos, brass, cellos, stuff where you hopefully know what it is supposed to sound like. And not just sound itself but it's sound in a room. (no "live" music for testing.)
Even electric guitar is too subjective on reproduction.
My theory is if the real thing sounds REAL, the electronic stuff is accurate to the original device.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as the two tracks you posted, the first one sounds like a lot of Chris Botti material. Smooth jazz is the genre, lots of artists like Rick Braun, David Sanborn, Euge Groove, Fourplay, Boney James, Sade, Boz Scaggs.
Get some Chris Botti or Miles Davis for horn.
That first video sounds like someone that does NOT know how to blow a horn!
Thank you VERY much!

I had never heard of Chris Botti.

I just looked up some of his music - and WOW!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts