AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that there are high quality hacked drivers around that have been optimised for video quality. Can somewhere confirm this and if so do you know where I can get them to try them out?

Thanks very much

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, there are no "video optimized" drivers. Some people claim that Omega's are better than Catalyst. Not sure about that. You should try for yourself.

FireGL drivers are usually provide a bit better image quality for DVD playback in VMR9 mode (not sure why), but it is kind of a pain to get there. Not sure about benefits of using FLG drivers with overlay. If they are any they are relatively minor.

If you are interested in FireGL drivers, take a look at www.guru3d.com and go to Rivatuner forum. This will give you info on "softmoding" Radeons into FireGL which is nothing more that driving stock Radeons with FireGL drivers. FireGL drivers are designed so that they will not load on Radeons and softmod takes care of that issue.

As far as what version of drivers you will need that is where major pain kicks in. Some will give you better results than others but you have to figure that one out in your system by trial and error. For example, in my system the best drivers are 7.96 (latest version) that are loaded without full softmod, just by changing the PCI ID device in FireGL drivers before installation (search for my post there is you want more details on how to do it). Whatever you do, do not instal Catalyst control panel on top or FireGL control pannel. 80% of the time that will negatively impact image quality. Just learn how to live with minimalistic FireGL control panel and in fact I would not even touch any of the settings. I think the best settings are default settings.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Do you know of any better ones? I am sure lots of guys would appreciate a suggestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.