AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was hopeful that the SACD or DVD-A thing would really catch on, but to me it seems like it's all pretty much dead. Would I be correct in that asumption, or are there still new discs being made in these formats?

I find it odd that all of these new and expensive Blu-ray players can't support these two formats as well.

As I'm looking at these new players, I'm wondering if there's a possibility of high-res multi-channel music coming for the forefront again...

Anyways, am I wrong, or am I just not looking in the right direction? I'd love a resource to find more SACD/ DVD-A discs (preferably for cheap), as I don't plan on getting rid of my Samsung dual format player.

Thanks!

· Registered
30,880 Posts
1. Upcoming BRD players from Denon and Oppo will also play SACD/DVD-A.

2. Already, there is a fair amount of hi-res music on BR.

Both topics have a few threads about them.

· Registered
1,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigguyZ /forum/post/15414660

? I'd love a resource to find more SACD/ DVD-A discs (preferably for cheap), as I don't plan on getting rid of my Samsung dual format player.

Thanks!

Go to amazon.com and search through the music category. You'll find many pages of SACDs.

www.acousticsounds.com is another source, as is www.elusivedisc.com .

There are thousands of SACD titles out there, and many can still be found.

Good luck,

Lee

· Registered
9,485 Posts
There continue to be SACD releases for classical titles. But, that's about it. Aside from an occasional title like the Love from The Beatles and the LOTR soundtracks, DVD-Audio seems to be pretty much dead now. Maybe BD will help. But, I suspect high res music will remain a niche product.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
They are dead when you can no longer find any music of interest. I am just about done just need to get a few titles from AIX records and Cheski Records.

I have since looked at the best alternative which is 2.0 to 5.1 or 7.1 software in receivers. I have made my choice with Yamaha but a magazine should do a review and comparison of all of them. Logic 7, THX music, DTS Neo 6, PLIIx Music and Yamaha music modes. Some jazz CDs rival the SACD multichannel layer with the Yamaha..

· Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/15415438

1. Upcoming BRD players from Denon and Oppo will also play SACD/DVD-A.

2. Already, there is a fair amount of hi-res music on BR.

Both topics have a few threads about them.

Kal or someone else, would you mind explaining a little what this means? I'm starting to configure a new system (nothing purchased yet) and am unclear/undecided on just a bluray/dvd/cd player and also an SACD player (am considering tring to find an old PS3 that supports all, though don't know if quality enough SACD player). Anyway, i interpret your quote as there's a new hi-res music format on bluray and maybe this is a good approach going forward.

· Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca /forum/post/15417761

They are dead when you can no longer find any music of interest.

Hmmm....that's a strange way of looking at things. So, just because you can't find any music you like on a particular format, it's dead?

There were over 600 new SACD releases in 2008. Perhaps the titles released weren't your cup of tea, but SACD is hardly dead.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
It seems the multi-channel music formats peaked around 2001-2004. Half of the titles I want on Amazon have been discontinued, and you have to pay ransom prices to buy them used ($79.99 for Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours"?). Yes, there is a lot of classical stuff, as well as jazz, which is what I filled up my Amazon cart with, but I would definitely enjoy more contemporary releases as well, not just 70's pop and rock. You can't even buy "Sea Change" anymore without shelling out $50 for used (I should know, I just did...
).

So to the OP, I would say, yes, these formats are "dead" or at the very least in a coma. Now there's talk about Blu-ray offering uncompressed mixes "identical" to the studio masters. I have no doubt that the technology can achieve that, but what I'm skeptical about is whether the music labels are going to take advantage of this. Sure, we'll see some "special releases" similar to SACDs and DVD-As in the past, but I doubt there will be a wide roll-out.

And you know what, I don't blame them. Seems like consumers these days only really care about their iPod and iTunes and "hi-fi" is any 5.1 sub/sat system that costs more than $400. For this segment of the audience, any type of higher-resolution audio is meaningless without proper systems to play them on.

· Registered
54 Posts
Sony hasn't completely given up on SACD...they have two new in-dash SACD players which support surround and a few Bravia HTiB all-in-one changer/amp/receiver units that proudly sport an SACD logo...I saw one at Costco the other day.

I thought that was rather amusing....

· Registered
30,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Nut /forum/post/15474762

Sony hasn't completely given up on SACD...they have two new in-dash SACD players which support surround and a few Bravia HTiB all-in-one changer/amp/receiver units that proudly sport an SACD logo...I saw one at Costco the other day.

Also, the new CD/SACD player, the SCD-XA5400ES, with balanced stereo outputs and HDMI!

· Registered
1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Nut /forum/post/15474762

I bought one of those Sony HTiB systems when they first came out, the kind that was silver with 4 identical long and tall front/surrounds and a center/sub to match the plasmas, though it wasn't a Bravia. At the time, it was pretty expensive for what it was, somewhere around $1,300, after which I saw subsequent similar models going for a third of the price.

This system had a SACD player as well (in fact, my first one!), but it was completely wasted on the speakers of the system. I did buy SACDs for it, mostly for the multichannel discs, but that system was not built for listening to music.

Sony still supporting SACD doesn't surprise me. From what I understand, they are still supporting MiniDisc in Japan. I should know, I'm imported a car from Tokyo to Hong Kong where I live, and it has a built-in MD player!

· Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaDawn /forum/post/15475296

Sony still supporting SACD doesn't surprise me. From what I understand, they are still supporting MiniDisc in Japan. I should know, I'm imported a car from Tokyo to Hong Kong where I live, and it has a built-in MD player!

Last year, Sony released more SACD titles in Hong Kong than in the US.

· Registered
1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion /forum/post/15475417

Last year, Sony released more SACD titles in Hong Kong than in the US.

Yes, and that's not a good sign. Hong Kong is a city of 7 million people compared to the 250+ million in the U.S. But Hong Kong people do love cutting edge technology, I remember I was quite happy when I moved here that LaserDiscs were so abundant back in the mid-90's.

HMV here is a great source of SACDs, but these are mostly classical and some jazz. Very few pop releases, and hardly any rock. In fact, you can only find SACDs in the audiophile areas of the Classical and Jazz sections of these stores.

So perhaps I'll rephrase. SACD and multi-channel format audio certainly isn't "dead", but it hasn't lived up to the promise of wide adoption, and if compared to a few years ago, I would say it is on the decline. Not dead, but not thriving.

Having said that, I hope I don't come off as not liking and agreeing with the format. I love it! I just wish it there was more adoption and thus, more choices available of the music I usually listen to.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.